cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mails are being archived in "Do Not Archive" set folders

TS_NG
Level 3

Hi All,

In Outlook there are folders which are set to "Do Not Archive" by EVPM or manually. When start archiving manually an item in one of these folders it goes to pending state and some minutes later goes back to original state (IPM.Note). This should be the normal way of work, but these items can be found in Archive Explorer in the user's vault. It means they are archived, but they should not been. Automatic archiving also works on items in these folders and creates EV shortcuts.

We have 2 EV-servers in 1 site with EV Version: 9.0.4.
Operating system: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64

Thanks for any ideas, answers in advane.

Gabor

9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you share with us the screenshot of the properties tab?

And of a test item which is in the folder, and then in Archive Explorer?

Working for cloudficient.com

TS_NG
Level 3

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the fast reply.

Please find attached the screenshots (German).

Gábor

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

According with this technote:

How to turn off archiving for a sub folder within the inbox using Enterprise Vault Policy Manager (EVPM)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35607

NOTE: EVPM settings applied to the mailbox are used to control how the archiving tasks interact with the mailbox. These settings will not affect the end user's ability to perform specific functions that were made available through policies set in the console.

You mentioned that the archiving task is archiving items from this folder. Looking at the screenshot, it says: "This folder was set to Do not archive" (Dieser ordner wurde auf 'Nicht archivieren' eingestellt). You can collect a dtrace to determine why this folder is being archived. Also, I noticed that this is the "EV_Service, Service" account. Is that the VSA mailbox? If so, could you try with a regular mailbox?

TS_NG
Level 3

EVPM is used as described in the linked technote and it is working well, the folder receive the necessary setting (Do Not Archive).

Could you explain how should I make the necessary dtrace?

Thanks in advance.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This technote explains how to collect a dtrace:

How to run Dtrace to help diagnose issues with Enterprise Vault
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38122

If you use the Admin Console, use the "Mailbox archiving issues (Exchange)" item from the dropdown list. You can move some emails to the folder, start the dtrace and then the archiving task. Monitor the folder and once you confirm that the item was archived, stop the dtrace.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I knew I had seen this type of issue before.

Yes, if DO NOT ARCHIVE is set, end users still can.

If you're seeing the server side of things still archiving items, check you don't have the registry key set called:

HKLM \ Software \ Wow6432Node\ KVS \ Enterprise Vault\ Agents -> ClearDoNotArchive. If it's set to 1, it'll ignore the 'Do not archive' flag and archive items anyway.

TS_NG
Level 3

There is no ClearDoNotArchive regkey on our servers. Should I create it?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

No, I wouldn't suggest that. The default is to honour the 'do not archive' setting

TS_NG
Level 3

I have made a test, the archiving task does not archive items in the specific folder.

A trace (attached) has been made during manually archiving. In this case the item is duplicated (see screenshot) and later only the original message can be found, but it is also present in Archive Explorer.

Any idea would be appriciated.