Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMC Centera - what next?

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Hi all,

While researching for my upgrade from EV10 to EV11, I came across the following in the QuadroTech website:

"During the early years of Enterprise Vault EMC’s Centera platform was the platform of choice for many organizations however it is now “end-of-life” with all of the support difficulties that entails."

Has anyone successfully migrated their data to a new storage system?

If so, what storage solution did you migrate to and how did you migrate your data?

Any recommendation's or gotcha's and how long did the process take?

Thanks for sharing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Okay so after a little more investigation I have discovered the following EOL dates for Centera here

http://www.com-com.co.uk/maintenance/emc-end-of-life-product-list.ihtml

As we are on Gen 4 LP 4 TB I can now breath a sigh of relief..... the said article didn't state versions and seemed to imply that Centera as a whole was EOL, phew.....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Most people with centeras are going to the emc atmos, it uses the same protocols as the centera, and can use centrastat to communicate with it. For instance you can target an Atmos with EV using the Centera as the protocol and it will work Most migrations are just done via regular emc transfer tools or replica processes and you specify new IP addresses and PEA files once the migration has complete
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

sam_jay
Not applicable

We have a lot of experience at NetApp of clients migrating us IBM Global Services to do the work taking clients from End of Life Centera to the FAS platform with the roadmap to hybrid Cloud etc

many large organisations have a lot of data they can't afford to lose and want to place it on new platforms with a plan and roadmap

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

my company has performed a ton of EV migrations from Centeras to other storage platforms and most of them have not been EMC. what are you considering?

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Jesus and Sam.  Andrew, as I only saw the EOL yesterday I haven't considered any options yet and that was the reason I was posing the question to see what others had done.

I will also have to consult with our storage team and look at costs as Centera was reasonably priced.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what we tend to see is that our customers have gone away from centera for EV and have chosen to go with NAS storage or whatever their current standard is across the enterprise. once you've decided on the new target, you can migrate the data from EV with ArchiveShuttle, TransVault, etc.

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Okay so after a little more investigation I have discovered the following EOL dates for Centera here

http://www.com-com.co.uk/maintenance/emc-end-of-life-product-list.ihtml

As we are on Gen 4 LP 4 TB I can now breath a sigh of relief..... the said article didn't state versions and seemed to imply that Centera as a whole was EOL, phew.....

Johnny_B_Good
Not applicable

Hi Fiona,

IBM GTS works together with NetApp and a data migration company that can handle you data migration from the EOL Centera platform to NetApp FAS systems.