cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10.0.3 , TSM and Windows Server Backup !

EV_Novice
Level 5

Dear Experts,

as usual I'm scratching my head and getting more than a few splinters....

MY EV Server (Windows Server 2008 R2 x64) is running ver 10.0.3 and TSM Backup-Archive Client Version 6, Release 2, Level 4.0. I need to use Windows Server Backup on the EV Server and have run into an annoying issue. I recently installed Windows Server Backup, the other products menrtioned are already installed and working fine. Winows Server Backup appeared to install successfully, but when I tried the 'Backup Once' feature' I received, after a few minutes an "Unknown Error" 0x80042401. Windows backup failed.

I've googled the error and found pages of irelevant stuff: none of which appeared to lead me to a solution.

The EV Server has been rebooted since WIndows Server Backup was installed and the jolly Microsoft Security Patching has also been completed.

So here I am back in the Symantec Temple of expertise: Please can anyone advise me of a way of fixing Windows Server Backup in this instance?

I do not have the leeway to choose a different backup product, nor do I have any budget. The best answer will be one that gets Windows Server Backup to do what it alleges on the tin.

Appreciate any ideas you can offer.:)

Thanks in advance !

3 REPLIES 3

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello EV_Novice,

When you take a backup of the Enterprise Vault data (Vault Stores and Indexes), you need to set backup mode in Enterprise Vault, You can use a powershell scripts for this:

Using PowerShell cmdlets in backup scripts
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57222

Also, if you are using Windows Backup, you might need to use the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt mechanism to tell Enterprise Vault that the partition are being backed up:

How to use a trigger file (IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt or PartitionSecuredNotification.xml) for devices that do not support the Archive bit
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35610

In regards to the error message in Windows Backup, you need to consult with Microsoft to determine if there are any logs that can tell you why that error is being generated.

I hope this helps.

EV_Novice
Level 5

Dear kind responding folk,

I never got as far as choosing any files to backup (See attachment.) I clicked on 'Backup once' got the fuel gauge that rolled across several times before eventually displaying the 'unknown error' as shown.

The server has been rebooted since Windows Server Backup was installed. I wasted several hours trawling through posts on the same error code, finding 'hits' for for Windows vista, xp, and so on but didn't get a good hit for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server Backup. Of course with EV10 added to the mix that made an extra complication, but again no clearly useful 'hits' when googled.

All I want to do is backup some closed archive partitions to another drive as a bit of 'insurance'. Windows Server backup seemed the simplest way to achieve this but the 'unknown error' has snookered me... for now.

Appreciate your help and guidance :)

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

EV_Novice,

Again, you should contact Microsoft to troubleshoot that error message, but let's dig a little bit on this error. Have you reviewed the Windows Backup Log to see if there are more messages or details about this hexcode?

The Location of the Windows Backup Log
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7717369_location-windows-backup-log.html