cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10.0.4 and Exchange 2013 cu3 Journal archiving

SteveB123
Level 2
Partner Accredited

After turning on Journaling in Exchange 2013, the users getting Journaled now receive messages from inboundproxy@contoso.com.  Recipients receive these blank messages once every 5 minutes with the subject "inbound proxy probe".  Another bit of information is that we are in the middle of an email migration in 2 separate AD forests using Quest for migration and synchronization.  The source Exchange system is 2007.

The EV  10.0.4 post .4 hotfix is installed, plus the Exchange 2013 cu 3 EV hotfix is installed. SynchInMigrationMode  is set in the registry.

If anyone has heard of this please let me know.

Steve Brown

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So you are saying that the journaled users are getting these messages?  Is it all the journaled users?

I found some post about that probe message but I can't tell if it is a 100% match to what you are seeing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2823959

The main thing for you is that this is going to be an Exchange issue and not anything you can do on the EV side.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So you are saying that the journaled users are getting these messages?  Is it all the journaled users?

I found some post about that probe message but I can't tell if it is a 100% match to what you are seeing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2823959

The main thing for you is that this is going to be an Exchange issue and not anything you can do on the EV side.

SteveB123
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks for responding Tony.  It is Journaled users, I believe it to be all Journaled users.  Non-Journaled users are not getting the message.  The Exchange support team has opened a ticket with Microsoft.  Their current tactic is to stop the probing on the CAS servers and that seems to have stopped the probe messages.  It is interesting that turning on the newly created Journal Rule is what triggered these mesages.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sounds quite odd.  Did you get an explanation from Microsoft?

Working for cloudficient.com

chriscolden
Level 4

Hi Steve,

I dont think this is an EV issue and more a Quest Issue.

Basically the inboundproxy@contoso.com sounds to me like the internal reouting connectors created for quest to allow mail to flow between the two domains.

Now I'm not sure why your getting these mails with the journaling but in the past I've seen users getting these addresses as NDR's and the reason before was that the connector had send and recieve limits set too low.

The inboundproxy address should be transparent to users.

I would be opening a call with quest to resolve this issue. It would depend on how mail is routing in your setup and where mail is being journaled.

I'm almost certain this has something to do with your quest migration though. These proxys will be removed once you have completed the migration.

Regards,

Chris Colden