cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10 - ERROR: Failed to configure Enterprise Vault web app, error: 1

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

I have an single EV server running 10.0.0 being set up for Exchange Archiving (2007 & 2010). I want to configure the anonymous access for OWA, but when i run the OWAUser.wsf script, it errors out with Error: 1. Below is the output of the script:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault>cscript OWAUser.wsf /domain:ai /user:evowauser /password:password
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

WScript version: 5.8
Configuring for Exchange 2003/2007
Running as: domain\vsa
User name: evowauser
User domain: domain
Assigned user right: SeNetworkLogonRight
Assigned user right: SeInteractiveLogonRight
Assigned user right: SeBatchLogonRight
Assigned user right: SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
ERROR: Failed to configure Enterprise Vault web app, error: 1

I've checked and verify that the required IIS roles are installed as per the documentation, and that the IPv4 Address and Domain Restriction is set to Read/Write. But yet I keep getting this error. I've found other users face errors running the script, but it's all Error: 5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

Finally got this issue resolved. It was a pretty ironic reason behind the error. In the registry there was a value for the Installation Log file that was pointing to a non-existannt log file. So when the script would run, and could not find the file to log its activity, it would error out with Error 1. Pretty misleading error, should have errored stating could not find install log, therefore, configuration is being skipped.

The Solution:

Go to the below registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install

Modify the REG_SZ value “InstallationLog” and change the Value data to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Installation Logs\EVInstall.log”

Run the owauser.wsf script, and should be successful this time.

Hope this helps out anyone else.

Take care.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Error 5 would be access denied, try running the command prompt as an administrator and try again

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Try this:

Go to Start -> Run -> cmd and press OK
CD to your \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\ directory
Type "cscript owauser.vbs" and press Enter

What does that do?

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

I'm running the command prompt as administrator.

Tried running cscript owauser.vbs and got error that could not find owauser.vbs. Below is the output:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault>cscript owauser.vbs
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\o
wauser.vbs".

Did you want vbs or wsf. If wsf, it returns me the help on the script.

TonySterling

Sorry, I meant WebApp.vbs. 

I had a colleague see the same error code 1, he ran WebApp.vbs and then was able to run the owasure.wsf.

This sounds like a new install, are you able to access the WebApp search?

HTTP://evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

Ok, I've gone through the Troubleshooting OWA Extensions guides from TECH69113, and checked the Configuration changes that the script makes. This is what I've noticed:

1. Users rights have been assiged successfully.

2. The EVAnon virtual directory is created, BUT, the IPs I added for Exchange CAS servers have not been pulled from the ExchangeServers.txt.

3. The registry values for AnonymousUser and OwaWebAppAlias have been created with the proper values.

And if I go to the virtual directory EVAnon, and check the Anonymous Authentication settings, it is not updated with the DA account.

So we see 2 things missing, the "IP address and Domain restriction" and "Authentication" settings not updating for EVAnon. Does that give any ideas?

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

No Tony, it's not a new install. It's an existing server that's been running for an year with Exchange 2007. It was done just before I had joined here. Now since I'm migrating to Exchange 2010, wanted to add Exchange 2010 for archiving, and was setting up the CAS extensions, and I noticed whoever did the implementation before me never fully configured the anonymous configuration. So just updating that config.

I tried WebApp.vbs, but I get the same error that cannot find the file. Did a search and found WebApp.ini and a WebApp directory under the EV installation directory.

And yes, the search works fine.

TonySterling

Ok, I just looked through my notes and the version he was working with was a bit older, EV 8 sp 5.

I just looked in the owauser.wsf and found this:

From 10.0.1 the Webapp.vbs is not used anymore, therefore perform the EVAnon setup using the .cs implementation

I guess we need to keep looking.  :)

TonySterling

Just a thought, can you manually update the IPv4 Address and Domain Restrictions?

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

Yep, am able to add the entries manually. But the Entry type is marked as Local instead of Inherited.

Shulfane_Dulfav
Level 2

I cannot find the webapp.vbs file anywhere in my install directory. I am having a similar issue and want to fix, but its not there.

TonySterling

If you look on my earlier post I found it isn't used any longer.

From 10.0.1 the Webapp.vbs is not used anymore, therefore perform the EVAnon setup using the .cs implementation

TonySterling

As there aren't too many other ideas I would recommend you open a case with Symantec.

Shulfane_Dulfav
Level 2

What is EVAnon setup using the .cs implementation?

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

Already did... just waiting for a response from them... will update you all one what was the outcome.

Tmarques
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Saqib

Did you manage to get this resolved i am getting the same error

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

Nope, not yet. Have a case logged with Symantec and so far what they are assuming is that it's an IIS issue. So I've been asked to check with Microsoft to see if there is any restrictions set in IIS that might be blocking the scripting from creating the virtual directory and making the required changes in IIS. Once I have an update, will post it here.

Tmarques
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Saqib,

My issue has been resolved. We recreated the ExchangeServers.txt file not sure what the issue was but instead of copying the IP Address into the file like i had previously done we manually inserted them into the file, the copying of the IP Address could have had a space in them i also had a duplicate entry.

SaqibShamsi
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

Finally got this issue resolved. It was a pretty ironic reason behind the error. In the registry there was a value for the Installation Log file that was pointing to a non-existannt log file. So when the script would run, and could not find the file to log its activity, it would error out with Error 1. Pretty misleading error, should have errored stating could not find install log, therefore, configuration is being skipped.

The Solution:

Go to the below registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install

Modify the REG_SZ value “InstallationLog” and change the Value data to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Installation Logs\EVInstall.log”

Run the owauser.wsf script, and should be successful this time.

Hope this helps out anyone else.

Take care.