cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10 and Exchange 2010

Danish_A
Level 4

We are planning to have 1 EV site with 5 EV servers, 1 SQL server for targetting 5 exchange servers (2010). I would like to know that with the concept of DAG in exchange 2010 in which the databses can failover to any mailbox servers and after the provisioning task has run archivig will be processed by the Mailbox Archiving task associated with the new Exchange Mailbox Server.

My dout is if we have san storage connected to each EV server which will have partitions created on it respectively.
eg.

EV A having SAN storage A connected will archive  mailboxes of Mailbox server A (Database A,Database B,Database C )  
EV B having SAN storage B connected will archive  mailboxes of Mailboxes B (copy of Database A,copy of Database B,Database D )  

If the Database A and B which were active on Mailbox server A failovers over to Mailbox server B and provisioning task is run after the failover and EV B starts archiving  Database A and Database B which are now active on Mailbox Server B, then in this case the archived items will be stored in storage A or Storage B and how ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Enterprise Vault Partitions that belong to Vault Stores will be assigned per EV Server So you would have something like VaultStore1 (on EVServer1) Partition1 -> E:\Partition1 Partition2 -> F:\Partition2 VaultStore2 (on EVServer2) Partition1 -> E:\Partition1 Partition2 -> F:\Partition2 Let's say you have Exchange1's Archiving Task on EVServer1 and Exchange2's Archiving Task on EVServer2 You enable Archiving for a user on Exchange1, EV then creates an archive on VaultStore1 You enable Archiving for a user on Exchange2, EV then creates an archive on VaultStore2 If a user gets moved from Exchange1 to Exchange2, although the users Task that archives the users mailbox is on EVServer2 , the users archive still belongs to VaultStore1 When an item gets archived in the users mailbox, it gets passed from EVserver2 to EVserver1 to store the item in the archive
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
If the users are on Exchange A targeted by EVServerA and then fails over to ExchangeB where the task resides on EVServerB , when items are archived it will still write to the users vault store So an item that is archived will profess through the MSMQ's like EVserverB\Exchange ServerB A2 then to EVServerA\Storage Archive Queue then to EVServerB\Exchange ServerB A1 So no matter where the exchange archiving task resides, or what Exchange Server the user is on, there items will ALWAYS be written to the Vault Store they belong to when they were first enabled

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The concept that you've outlined is not correct, from what I have read in:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/14...

Working for cloudficient.com

JesusWept3
Level 6

Oh sorry, didn't see saying Copies. then yeah only Active Databases will be archived, not the copies etc
But anyho, based on that guide, if a DAG failover occurs and the users mailbox is now being archived by a task on another server, the following applies (which i mentioned originally)

"Yes, it is possible that performance would be affected. For example if you have a scenario where you have a 1:1 relationship of 1 Enterprise Vault server per Exchange Mailbox Server and with a DAG configuration similar to that of the customer scenario in this document, if MailboxDatabase1 fails over to MailboxServer2, once the provisioning task has run, the mailboxes in MailboxServer2 will now be processed by the second EV server as that is the server that hosts the archiving task for MailboxServer2. In addition to already archiving mailboxes in MailboxDatabase3 and MailboxDatabase4, the second EV server now has to process mailboxes in MailboxDatabase1 and MailboxDatabase2. In that event the Enterprise Vault server will have more mailboxes to process, and because the storage service associated with archives relating to mailboxes in MailboxDatabase1 and MailboxDatabase2 will reside on the first EV server, archived data will have to be transferred over MSMQ to the first EV server. "

Danish_A
Level 4

I am new to EV so can you please explain me in more details "the storage service associated with archives relating to mailboxes in MailboxDatabase1 and MailboxDatabase2 will reside on the first EV server, archived data will have to be transferred over MSMQ to the first EV server. " 

Since we will have 1:1 relationship of 1 EV server per Mailbox server, how should we map the storage drives on each EV servers, since as per my understanding storage drives on EV A will not be available on EV B server, I need to understand the process by which MSMQ will transfer the data to first EV server when the mailboxes are processed on second EV server.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Enterprise Vault Partitions that belong to Vault Stores will be assigned per EV Server So you would have something like VaultStore1 (on EVServer1) Partition1 -> E:\Partition1 Partition2 -> F:\Partition2 VaultStore2 (on EVServer2) Partition1 -> E:\Partition1 Partition2 -> F:\Partition2 Let's say you have Exchange1's Archiving Task on EVServer1 and Exchange2's Archiving Task on EVServer2 You enable Archiving for a user on Exchange1, EV then creates an archive on VaultStore1 You enable Archiving for a user on Exchange2, EV then creates an archive on VaultStore2 If a user gets moved from Exchange1 to Exchange2, although the users Task that archives the users mailbox is on EVServer2 , the users archive still belongs to VaultStore1 When an item gets archived in the users mailbox, it gets passed from EVserver2 to EVserver1 to store the item in the archive

Danish_A
Level 4

Dear,

Really appreciate your explanation, now most of my douts are clear except the process by which MSMQ will transfer the data from VaultStore2 on EVServer2 to fVaultStore1 on EVServer1 .

JesusWept3
Level 6
Ok so it does the following EVServer2\Private Queues\Archiving Task for Exchange2 A2 EVServer2\Outgoging Queues\Storage Archive on EVServer1 EVServer1\Outgoing Queues\Archiving Task for Exchange2 on EVServer2 So the way archiving works is it goes to A2 queue first that puts the item in to Pending state and tells the task to get a copy of the message It then goes from A2 to Storage Archive and takes the copied message and turns it in to an EV message (DVS files etc) Once it's been processed it goes from Storage Archive to the A1 Queue and "post processes" the item meaning it will turn it in to a shortcut So to recap Exchange Task A2 (pending) -> Storage Archive -> Exchange Task A1 (post process) When the task and vault store are on the same server it all uses the Private Queues When the task and vault stores are on separate servers then EV uses the "Outgoing Queues" to connect to a queue that resides on another server

Danish_A
Level 4

Dear ,

Thanks for your explanations it was really great and cleared all my douts.

Regards,

Danish