cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10 and Modified data and Archived Date settings

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I'm reviewing customer EV settings and have something to clarify.

* The site has "Archive Date" option selected. The server does not have the reg key "IgnoreEVDate". I've seen an article that indicate a "Mail Message" is checked based on Message Delivery Time first, but then found something else indicating it checks the "Last Modification Time".

I ran a test by moving an Outlook Item to the desktop, then moving it back to the Inbox and manually archiving. The item maintained its received date and not its modified date.

Therefore; per this test I believe the "Message Delivery Time" is checked first. Do you agree? Should I be confirming "modified date" in Exchange or "Archived Date" in EV value from the database?

I need to confirm this functionality in case we end up exporting and then re-ingesting a users archive in order to make sure the dates on an email message maintain its Modified state per EV archives.

Please advise on your comments.

Thanks and best regards,

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So I believe the Archive Date you mention is for Expiry and doesn't come into play for archiving.

Have you seen this article:

How Enterprise Vault determines which date to use when archiving by age

Article:HOWTO42224  |  Created: 2011-02-01  |  Updated: 2011-02-01  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42224

Basically though, if you restore archived items to the mailbox they will maintain their send\receive date but the modified date will change as it was restored.  EV checks the Last Modified when it has been restored and keys of that unless you set the IgnoreEVDates.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

So I believe the Archive Date you mention is for Expiry and doesn't come into play for archiving.

Have you seen this article:

How Enterprise Vault determines which date to use when archiving by age

Article:HOWTO42224  |  Created: 2011-02-01  |  Updated: 2011-02-01  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42224

Basically though, if you restore archived items to the mailbox they will maintain their send\receive date but the modified date will change as it was restored.  EV checks the Last Modified when it has been restored and keys of that unless you set the IgnoreEVDates.

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the clarification! I had found a different link with a similar description to that knowledge base article but thanks for passing it on as well. Having a Symantec Technote is better. :)

Just to clarify further...

So if I have the "Archive Date" set and performed a restore yesterday for items that had a Received data of 01/10/13, and I wanted to delete items in my archive that were 30 days or over. Storage expiry will not DELETE the items restored yesterday.

But, "Storage Expiry" will DELETE those items if the IgnoreEVDates regkey value was in place.

Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Best Regards,

Dennis

TonySterling

Not quite, IgnoreEVDates has no effect on Expiry and neither does restoring.  If you base Expiry on Archive Date and retention is set for 30 days anything archived over 30 days is eligilble to be deleted.

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Will "Expiry" be affected in the following scenario?

* If retention is set 30 days; let's assume the items restored yesterday were re-ingested last night. Even if the Received Date shows 01/10/13 in the above scenario...those items will not be picked up and purged by Expiry when using "Archived Date". Do you agree?

Thanks again for your help!

D.

TonySterling

No, I would think that the items will be expired.  When the re-ingestion process occurs it is just converting them back into shortcuts and doesn't reset the original archive date.  Unless, when you did the restore your deleted the items from the archive so they are truely newly archived.

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you Tony!

I will leave the setting as originally configured per the above. Definitely something to test at my end in a LAB environment in the future, but per the above it seems like it will meet customers intent.

Thanks and best regards,

Dennis