cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10 problem after DB migration

Sox
Level 4

This morning we encountered to numerous warnings and 3 errors regarding backup.

I presume it has something to do with SQL migration, beacuse when I check Vault store properties, I saw in backup tab under status that the last item secured was the day before my SQL admin make SQL migration.

Now, even if I successfully open EV console, retreiveing mails doesn't work for my users.

I'm attaching a screenshot of warnings and errors, and hope that you will help me again.

All warnings indicates that storage service must running, and when I check services in services tab, they are all running.

And I'm thanking You again in advance

SOX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sox, can you check the odbc-settings?

on an x64 system, goto C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, tab systemDSN, select directory, make sure server shows servername+instance

As you say db's have been moved to new sql server, can you confirm with DBA that Vault service account has proper rights on sql server, are the logins correct etc.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Sox,

First thing would be to cross check the document which i have given you earlier and perform the steps..

Also check with users what other functionality hav been affected apart from restore, like archive,retrieve.. etc..

In MSMQ you should see a lot of item queued in the restore queue..i mean in the R1 and R2 queue..

You may have to purge this queues first..

Then again we would require Dtrace while doing a restore of one item to see find out what going wrong.

You can put the following process in Dtrace..

AgentClientBroker

RetrievalTask

StorageRestore

W3wp

StorageOnlineOpns

Regards,

A_J

Sox
Level 4

I'm really thanking you for your patience...

Tomorow is non-working day here, but I will try this what you told me to do as soon as possible, and I will get you results.

If I had a chance, I really must buy you a dinner... smiley

Sox

Sox
Level 4

Hello A_J

Now I found out that, when console was working, someone change on EV server connection string to SQL in form: IP\INSTANCE

When I try to change it back to right form: SQLNAME\INSTANCE from console, I get error message that it cannot be done.

From some reason, connection works with IP, and then I got those errors in console that I describe, but not with HOSTNAME of SQL server.

So, I change it in registry, restart services, and now, again I'm unable to open console, I got same error like before.

So, I think that is defenitely SQL connection problem, beacuse, all those problems appear after my colleague make migration of database.

And when I run deployment scanner I got these errors:

SQL Collation

Failed

Unable to connect to at least one of the SQL servers listed.

SQLSERVER\INSTANCE: Unable to connect to server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL Database Compatibility

Failed

Unable to connect to at least one of the SQL servers listed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL Server Permissions

Failed

At least one of the SQL permissions tests for user DOMAIN\evservice produced an error.

SQL Server Version

Failed

At least one test for the SQL server version has failed.

I don't know does it matter if that SQL is migrated from single server to SQL cluster.

Does EV 10 support SQL cluster?

I try those steps in article that you send me, and when I make connection from DSN console with HOSTNAME\INSTANCE form, I connect succesfully...

But why EV itself cannot?

If you agree, I would like to make one more dtrace like before, when opening console, and send it to you one more time.

Maybe we can find some information why EV cannot establish connection over SQL hostname?

For now, I changed connection form back to SQL serve on IP\INSTANCE.

Now I'm able again to open console, but I've got error regarding backup, which was working just fine before SQL migration.

If you take a look at screenshot, all these yellow warnings indicates that Enterprise Vault Storage Service must be running - and it is running.

If I make a manual backup of EV environment, would that help to resolve this issue regarding those error and warnings? "How to fix" tool point that it would solve problem with that error.

I just want to hear you opinion, and maybe help if it't not to complicate to solve, but if it is, I'm considering open a case to Symantec.

Once again, I'm really thanking you for all your effort and patience.

SOX

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sox, can you check the odbc-settings?

on an x64 system, goto C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, tab systemDSN, select directory, make sure server shows servername+instance

As you say db's have been moved to new sql server, can you confirm with DBA that Vault service account has proper rights on sql server, are the logins correct etc.

Regards. Gertjan

Sox
Level 4

I was just try that. I found two ODBC connections  under system DSN:

EnterpriseVaultDirectory - which has configured connection over IP\INSTANCE form, and that's working

EVVSExchangeStore_2 - which has configure connection over SQLNAME\INSTANCE, which cannot connect

As soon as I change to IP\INSTANCE, connection was successfull

I guess that't all have to do with SQL connection.

Thank You...

SOX

Sox
Level 4

Thank you GertjanA and A_J,

After I check ODBC connections under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, tab systemDSN, and their configurations, I found out that both of connections was set on default port, but EV was trying to connect over dynamic port.

And that was a problem.

After I set dynamic port setting under both connections, EV start to working.

Thank you again for all of your effort,

Kindest regards to you all,

SOX