Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 11.0.1 FSA slow restore

BEI
Level 5

Hi all,

Running EV FSA 11.0.1 on Windows 2012R2 with 10GB network,

I'm currently restoring 400Gigs of data at what appers to be up to 15MB/per sec to file server Windows 2008R2 Guest on Vmware 5.5

Is there a way to speed things up.

I have  changed the regestry to 60 file per 1 sec. to make sure it does not stop as there are some small log files in there.

average file size is between 1.5-4.5 gig

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

55 Gb per hour is pretty big/fast from a single EV server.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

at that rate your restore will be done in about 8 hours. seems acceptible to me. what transfer rates are you expecting? what storage are you using at the source and target? how's sql looking?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

55 Gb per hour is pretty big/fast from a single EV server.

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

at that rate your restore will be done in about 8 hours. seems acceptible to me. what transfer rates are you expecting? what storage are you using at the source and target? how's sql looking?

BEI
Level 5

Thanks Rob,

Not sure what I was expecting. It just seems slow, especialy whan the reserchers want to recover and analyse 1TB of data.

BEI
Level 5

Hi Andrew,

The Archives are located on Dell MD3600I 10Gb Ethernet, 7200RPM

Restores are going to a Dell Equallogic box 10Gb Ethernet, 72000RPM

All storage is located on a physically separate dedicated 10Gb Network infrastructure located in same rack.

Backup server is physical server 2012R2, File server is virtual 2008R2 located on VM

Thanks

BEI
Level 5

BTW, it seems that after the registry change I was able to run 2 restores at the same time.

They both ran at about 13MB/per sec. which helped as it was concurrently rather then one after the other.

But if it can do 2 or more concurrently why not do one faster?

Cheers

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Most likely it is due to process doing the recall takes a bit of time to fulfill the request.  What are your settings for the Storage Service as far as Restore Threads go?

BEI
Level 5

Hi Tony, Not sure how to check for these yet.

Will have to run a test and find out in the next couple of days.

The registry has set NoOfItemProcessorThrads set to 20. not sure if changing this will improve the speed.

Cheers