cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 11.0.1 to EV 12 Migration

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I have an EV 11.0.1 that has been upgraded a couple times before.

The environment seems unstable, and some registry changes were made but no one knows which ones...

There is also another company that is doing 1st level support and has access to the ev_service account.

They are doing changes which they will not tell us, this is why the EV environment takes way more effort then usually.

I want to build a new EV12 environment with a fresh install. And migrate data over to the new system, while creating better/new provisioning groups and policies.

What would be the smartest way to do that regarding effort? 

EDIT: With this question I mean, how do I migrate the data from one single Server EV11.0.1 to a new server Ev 12, when the main goal is to have the least efford possible

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Interesting question.

Do you use Journal Archiving? If so, you need a migration tool (archiveshuttle from quadrotech or transvault)

If only mailbox archiving;

Setup + configure your EV12 environment.

EV11 Stop archiving from user-mailboxes. stop provisioning. Use EV12 to provision users, and start archiving.

Use move archive to move the EV11 data to the new EV12 environment.

Archiveshuttle (commercial break :) ) is great in this scenario. They provide a 'sync and switch' function, which will migrate the archive of a user, and when migrated, will disable the user in EV11, enable in EV12, and (!!) will update the shortcuts in the users mailbox to point to the new archive. Definitely worth a demo. There obviously is a cost, but it will safe you lots of time.

Using move archive will work, but it is a slow process, especially if you have large archives.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Hello,

Interesting question.

Do you use Journal Archiving? If so, you need a migration tool (archiveshuttle from quadrotech or transvault)

If only mailbox archiving;

Setup + configure your EV12 environment.

EV11 Stop archiving from user-mailboxes. stop provisioning. Use EV12 to provision users, and start archiving.

Use move archive to move the EV11 data to the new EV12 environment.

Archiveshuttle (commercial break :) ) is great in this scenario. They provide a 'sync and switch' function, which will migrate the archive of a user, and when migrated, will disable the user in EV11, enable in EV12, and (!!) will update the shortcuts in the users mailbox to point to the new archive. Definitely worth a demo. There obviously is a cost, but it will safe you lots of time.

Using move archive will work, but it is a slow process, especially if you have large archives.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi Gertjan,

I was sick a few days.

No we do not have Journal Archiving.

I am pretty sure our customer does not want to pay for additional software, because "reasons....".

I guess it will be the move archive function. Maybe in batches, as there is no pressure/deadline for migration.

Archiveshuttle will be remembered for the next migration ;-), do you have a whitepaper for me with all the functions of Archiveshuttle?

Thanks for you help and the great contribution to VOX.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

I have just thought about another option.

the server is virtual machine. I could restore the vmdk with the archive data, out of a backup, to the new EV 12 server. Or even just present it to the EV server.

Wouldn't it be possible to then run evsvr to restore the database entries to the new sql server?

Although I am not so sure if:

a) it would work without a connection to the old SQL server

b) it would take more time then Move Archive. 

GertjanA

More info here: http://www.quadrotech-it.com/products/archiveshuttle/ 

As for your thought, that might work, but is a very timeconsuming process. advantage of moving archives between the sites is that everything gets reindexed properly. I would not go for the evsvr option unless you really need to.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Thanks again!