Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 11 Search HTTP 404 error

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I've recently completed an upgrade of EV10.0.4 to EV11.0.1 (just a single server doing email archiving only)  and just need a bit of clarification on enabling the new EV11 search function.

I don't want all the users to have immediate access to this but instead just allow a small team of EV administrators so they can get familair with it before it's rolled out to everyone.

I've read a few bits on EVS and unsure if I need to click on the 'upgrade search' option in the Site properties or not? It seemed to imply that if I did this it would create a default Client Access provisioning group with all users in it and result in everyone getting the new search straight away.

So I created a customer Client Access Provisioning group with just the few users I wanted and ran the task. This worked to the point whereby only those users were redirected to the new search pages but they got an http 404 error saying that the webpage or it's dependencies had either been moved or deleted and to check the spelling of /EnterpriseVault/Search/Shell.aspx.

Is this simply because I still need to click on the 'upgrade search' option within the search tab of the EV Site properties to allow EV to create the web pages in IIS and if that's the case can I be certain it won't then roll this out to everyone but only to the people in the custom client access provisioning group I created?

This is on Windows 2012 R2 and I did try to update the web.config but when I applied the settings from the microsoft technote it broke the indexing service and so I reverted back - is it likely that i need to revisit this as I'm not sure of the symptons in EV of trying to use search without these changes in place. And it does say Windows 2012 and not 2012 R2 specifically

hope that makes sense :o)

cheers

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Error 404 has nothing to do with the "Upgrade Search" option. Since you wanted to roll out EVS for

limited user you have done the right thing by creating a custom search provisioning group. If you click 

on the "Upgrade Search" option all the users from the domain will be enabled for the new search.

I would suggest you  to concentrate on troubleshooting IIS. Let me know what happens when you hit

the below URL on the EV server.

http://localhost/enterprisevault/search

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

Error 404 has nothing to do with the "Upgrade Search" option. Since you wanted to roll out EVS for

limited user you have done the right thing by creating a custom search provisioning group. If you click 

on the "Upgrade Search" option all the users from the domain will be enabled for the new search.

I would suggest you  to concentrate on troubleshooting IIS. Let me know what happens when you hit

the below URL on the EV server.

http://localhost/enterprisevault/search

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi Amol

Thanks for getting back to me - I'm pretty sure the issue is with IIS.... in fact I think the EV install itself has had an issue. I quickly built a EV11 lab and it worked fine, I checked in IIS and immediately saw an /EnterpriseVault/Search virtual directory which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the upgraded version (I can't check until next week). I removed the Search VD from my lab build and was able to reproduce the http 404 error. I then reran the install over the top and it recreated it and all worked again.

I'm not sure what may have gone wrong with the original install that caused the search virtual directory not to be created as there was no errors reported - perhaps a permissions thing. I haven't checked through the install log so there may be something in there, but I'm hoping a reinstall with create the search VD for me.

thanks for the pointers

cheers

Keir

AmolB

Glad i was able to help you. Do post the results after re-running the setup.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Just to update this..... The 'repair' action on the EV server didn't create the Search 'Application' in IIS for me but I did notice that all the files and folders had been installed. I had to manulally create an Application Pool and then manually create the Search Application and put in the appropriate path.

Once that was done, restated IIS and the Indexing service and it all works fine.

not sure what the problem was with the install - perhaps permissions of some sort, but all ok now.

thanks