cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 11 Server Driven PST migration question

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

When a Server Driven migration activity is in operation, can a user still access their PST if they choose to?

My understanding is that the locator task will find the PST, and then the collector task will move it to the holding area, finally it will be ingested.

Is it during the 'collector' phase that the PST must remain in an inactive state?

Eg Once the collector has run would the user then be able to open their PST without causing the ingestion to fail? I understand that they must be prevented from adding more items into the PST, but I just want to ask if they can access their PSTs during the locate and migrate phases but not during the Collector phase?

As the collector is schedule to run overnight then the users will not have them open - well that's the plan.

Also the post migration activity is to delete the PST so I guess this may also fail if the PST is open at the time this tries to run.

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling

No, with Server driven the user will not be able to access the PST.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling

No, with Server driven the user will not be able to access the PST.

CadenL

Thanks Tony

So at what point does it prevent user access to the PST? And how does it do that - is it through some kind of file lock?

many thanks