cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 11 and SQL server with AlwaysOn

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am not a SQL guru at all and I only touch this piece of software when working with EV. In the recent deployment I was asked if EV can have its databases in SQL instance that is enabled for "AlwaysOn" Availability when EV databases will not be mirrored (or made highly available via these SQL mechanisms). I know that EV does not support AlwaysOn with SQL, but I was under impression that the customer was saying that SQL instance can host both "AlwaysOn" and non-"AlwaysOn" databases and we're after the latter. Is it possible and supported? OR I understood it all wrong and SQL should be completely clear from all that "AlwaysOn" dirt?

Appreciate your input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

after re-reading your original question, I would add a point of clarification. yes you can a mixture of AlwaysOn databases and "not" AlwaysOn databases on the same SQL server. rumor has it that EV 12 will support AlwaysOn. hope that helps!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

In reading this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh510230.aspx#Interoperability and this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff877884.aspx, it seems you can create AvailabilityGroups with databases in them.  

If that is the case, I would just have to customer create a dedicated EV SQL Instance that was not in an AvailabilityGroup.

AndrewB

i would recommend searching the forums for discussions on this topic. also have a look at the "ideas" section as thing is something which is coming down the pipe.

GertjanA

Hello Mouse,

Just to be sure, Always On is not supported currently in any version of Enterprise Vault.

I am sure Symantec/Veritas are looking into supporting this, but I can imagine it is pretty difficult to make the application ready to use it.

Like Andrew states, search forum, and check the Ideas section.

If you are ok with one of the answers, can you mark one as solution please?

Thanks.

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB

after re-reading your original question, I would add a point of clarification. yes you can a mixture of AlwaysOn databases and "not" AlwaysOn databases on the same SQL server. rumor has it that EV 12 will support AlwaysOn. hope that helps!

Mouse

Thanks, Gertjan, I think Andrew answered the question. EV does seem to work with databases on SQL servers that have AlwaysOn, the requirement is that EV databases should not participate in Availability Groups though.

TonySterling

Sorry, but isn't that what I said above?

Mouse

Just to clarify, the answer that I was looking for has appeared in the thread and subsequently marked as the solution. I believe the correct answer is to create EV databases under control of the same SQL engine but not configure them in an Availability Group. I just could not find this information in your answer, sorry if I was reading it wrong.