cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 12.1.3; Unable to download email from OWA

haeussler
Level 4

Hello together,

a customer is facing an issue with OWA 2013 and IE 11. When EVS is opened from OWA the download option is prevented. If the user opens the EVS directly the download option is shown. The following technote describes the situation a bit:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000115888

If the EVS is openened in OWA the URL is the following: http://<evserver>/EnterpriseVault/search/shell.aspx?EVOMA_SANDBOXED=1

If we open the search normally via browser and add "?EVOMA_SANDBOXED=1" the download option is also prevented. It seems that the workaround is wrong because the extention prevents the download option. 
With Google Chrome OWA is working fine but in Compatibility Chart its not supportet.

Can we prevent the extention "?EVOMA_SANDBOXED=1" is added to the URL while searching in OWA?

Thanks, Lucas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just checked and this is intentional.

We add the "EVOMA_SANDBOXED=1" parameter when EV Search is launched from the Office Mail App outside of Outlook (i.e., from OWA) using Internet Explorer 10 or later (specifically, we check for Trident version 6 or greater).

This is because of sandboxing restrictions placed on the Office Mail App by IE 10 and later, which limit the ability of EV Search to interact with the client machine when launched in this fashion. This causes our Download and Export operations not to work (since these write files to the client); therefore we check for this condition and disable those buttons in this scenario.

In my testing, this issue is not present using Firefox. While it's true that in our compatibility guide, Firefox and Chrome are listed as Pending support for the Office Mail App, that just means we have not finished our formal testing of them, not that they definitely don't work. Try some Firefox or Chrome versions in your test environment and see how they fare.

--Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

The download option will give you an MSG file to be opened by Outlook. Since the user is in OWA, this won't open the message as they would expect.

What happens if they double click on the message instead? I believe this should open the message in OWA.

Thank you for your answer. Is this a expected behaviour or does it changed in 12x?
We saw, that with the extention "?EVOMA_SANDBOXED=1" the download button is prevented.

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Lucas,

just to make it a bit clearer. When starting EVS from within OWA the download button in the EVS is missing (Only "Open in New Window" is showing). When accessing EVS directly via webbrowser or the add-in it's showing the download button in addition. I've attached two screenshots showing the difference. 

Can confirm this in EV 12.1.3.

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

I just checked and this is intentional.

We add the "EVOMA_SANDBOXED=1" parameter when EV Search is launched from the Office Mail App outside of Outlook (i.e., from OWA) using Internet Explorer 10 or later (specifically, we check for Trident version 6 or greater).

This is because of sandboxing restrictions placed on the Office Mail App by IE 10 and later, which limit the ability of EV Search to interact with the client machine when launched in this fashion. This causes our Download and Export operations not to work (since these write files to the client); therefore we check for this condition and disable those buttons in this scenario.

In my testing, this issue is not present using Firefox. While it's true that in our compatibility guide, Firefox and Chrome are listed as Pending support for the Office Mail App, that just means we have not finished our formal testing of them, not that they definitely don't work. Try some Firefox or Chrome versions in your test environment and see how they fare.

--Chris

Hello Chris,

thank you for your answer. I have forwarded your answer to the customer. I will mark this topic as solved.

Thank you.