cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 12.5 items showing as 'ineligible' for archiving

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi all

I’m trying to narrow down an issue whereby EV is archiving user mailboxes without error but mailbox sizes are not decreasing. At this stage I don’t think this is related to safety copies (which are kept in the original location) as backups are completing ok, trigger files are being actioned and the backup tab for the open partition being scanned as expected and items being secured. I do, however, think this may be related to a very large number of items being reported as ‘Ineligible under policy’ this figure can be many GBs and often represents approx. 80% of the user’s mailbox size – the worse case is a user with 14GB of ineligible items

I’m looking for a way to identify exactly what these items are and why they’re ‘ineligible’. I don’t believe this is due to message class exclusions as these are listed separately in the report and only represent a couple of 100MB of size. We do use shortcuts and these are configured to use the entire message body and shortcuts are not deleted. I’m happy to concede that existing shortcuts that go back years aren’t helping here but again don’t think this is the main issue as the report again shows the number and size taken by shortcuts which may extend to a GB or so but nothing more.

Can anyone provide some info on narrowing down the items that are being reported as ‘ineligible’ within a user’s mailbox? Will a Dtrace on the archiving task for a ‘run now’ against a user mailbox report this level of detail?

I have considered zapping the mailboxes but as this is affecting many users (albeit to varying degrees of impact) didn’t consider this a hidden message issue.

The EV environment is a single EV server running 12.5 which is used for MS Exchange archiving only from a single Exchange 2016 server. User run Windows 10 with Outlook 2016 and the outlook Add-In is 12.0

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CadenL

Thankyou both for your thoughts.

It turns out that the information I was working with was out-dated and the version of Exchange is 2019 and not 2016 as I thought. This then led me to the following technote that looks to be the root cause of the ineligible items and growing mailbox sizes.

Enterprise Vault for Exchange: in rare circumstances attachments and mail body are not stripped afte...

We are in the process of upgrading to resolve this issue

many thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Prone2Typos

was there perhaps a mass restore to these mailboxes?

GertjanA

Does your policy exclude Draft/Deleted? Check a users mailbox and those folders. I have seen people finding out these were not archived, and they started using that as 'personal archive'. Word goes around fast.

As far as I recall, if you run dtrace agains the task, it should show you the issue. It might be best to perform a manual run against 1 of the offending mailboxes, with dtrace running.

Regards. Gertjan

CadenL

Thankyou both for your thoughts.

It turns out that the information I was working with was out-dated and the version of Exchange is 2019 and not 2016 as I thought. This then led me to the following technote that looks to be the root cause of the ineligible items and growing mailbox sizes.

Enterprise Vault for Exchange: in rare circumstances attachments and mail body are not stripped afte...

We are in the process of upgrading to resolve this issue

many thanks

GertjanA

Hi Caden,

Good find! Can you mark your own reply as solution?

Regards. Gertjan