cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 2007 to 8.0 upgrade and the SQL Collation error

Erick_Magnuson
Level 2
I'm upgrading from Enterprise Vault 2007 to 8.0.  When I run the deployment scanner I get a SQL Collation error on my VaultDirectory database.

I've seen http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293475.htm as the method for fixing this.  However, I think that the method outlined in that article is a little overboard consider what's actually wrong with my specific database.  I have a single field in a single table with the incorrect collation.  It's EnterpriseVaultDirectory. MQUpgrade.AgentType.  First of all, the table is empty, the field AgentType has a custom collation, everything else has the default.   I know how to change the collation for this field.  I do it and run the Deployment Scanner and all it well.  My concern is that I'm missing something.  Can it really be that easy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yip as log as you corrected the relevant table and Deployment Scanner now says there are no issues, you good to go ;)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yip as log as you corrected the relevant table and Deployment Scanner now says there are no issues, you good to go ;)

biosphere
Level 4
Partner
The 293475 article is in my experience seriously overkill, and may even introduce new (and much more dire) issues if done improperly.

In most cases, opening the offending tables in design mode and changing their collations to db_default (or a specific one, if you really want to be on the safe side) is more than enough.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Eric,
Do you remember what you did exactly? I have the collation error with the same table, MQUpgrade,  in my test environment.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Nevermind. A few more clicks into it and I found what I needed.

Erick_Magnuson
Level 2
Glad you found it.  It's been awhile.  But I'm 99% sure that I simply changed the collation of the agenttype field and the process moved along to an eventual successful upgrade.