cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 6.0 Performance Issue

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

OK, I have a client that's running EV 6.0.  They are wondering if there is an agent or some task that will speed up backup performance.  I know that this sounds vague, so if I need to get more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

yeah that really is vague
From EV's perspective, some things you can do to help back ups is to enable collections, so you are archiving fewer and bigger files (items pushed in to cab files)

You can also close off partitions and write new data to newer partitions so that you can do incremental (or differential) backups during the week and full back ups at the end of the day, thus cos the items wont change much you will only be doing the incrementals on the active partitions.

You can also look at deleting any unnecessary or old archives, so not only will that remove DVS files, it will remove them from the indexes too and thats one less thing to backup

Also making sure that expiry runs properly so you are deleting items that are past their retention may help on this as well.

There are also backup specific type things you can do as well, like i think in NBU you can enable streams (can't remember the exact name of the technology to be honest) that can increase you backup

But really its vague, it can come down to what are the read rates of your servers disks , what is your network bandwidth like, what is the speed of whatever you are backing up to (tape? disk? etc)

I believe the fastest possible backup you could do would be Snapshots

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6

yeah that really is vague
From EV's perspective, some things you can do to help back ups is to enable collections, so you are archiving fewer and bigger files (items pushed in to cab files)

You can also close off partitions and write new data to newer partitions so that you can do incremental (or differential) backups during the week and full back ups at the end of the day, thus cos the items wont change much you will only be doing the incrementals on the active partitions.

You can also look at deleting any unnecessary or old archives, so not only will that remove DVS files, it will remove them from the indexes too and thats one less thing to backup

Also making sure that expiry runs properly so you are deleting items that are past their retention may help on this as well.

There are also backup specific type things you can do as well, like i think in NBU you can enable streams (can't remember the exact name of the technology to be honest) that can increase you backup

But really its vague, it can come down to what are the read rates of your servers disks , what is your network bandwidth like, what is the speed of whatever you are backing up to (tape? disk? etc)

I believe the fastest possible backup you could do would be Snapshots

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

I'll get more info from her.  She apparently was told that there is an agent for EV that works in conjunction with NBU.  If there is such a thing, please let me know.

Thanks!

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

There is an agent in NBU 7.5.1 (I believe) for backing up EV, but it really doesnt affect performance.  The agent is primarily a management process enhancement.  There are several methods to increase performance of backup:

1)  Only do incrementals daily and weekly full (specificallly for vault stores)

2)  Use smaller vault store partitions (400-500MB).  EV will only write to the open partitions.

3)  Use collections, this will reduce the overal number of items which greatly enhances the performance of backup.

JesusWept3
Level 6

just to make this clear though, just because a partition is closed does not mean that the data does not change

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I say Nay to incremental backups. Doing this will result at some stage of needing every backup tape in a week to restore your system.

If you want to cut down your backup window turn on collections which will decrease the number of files to be backed up. Secondly do full backups on a Friday and do differentials for the other days. This will result in only every requiring two backups to do a full restore

I highly suggest upgrading to to the latest version. EV6 had many bugs that were only fixed in later versions and could be affecting your customer. Some of them could result in data loss.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

OK, I'll pass this infor on to her.  So, basically, no agent to implove performance for EV 6.0?

JesusWept3
Level 6

theres no agent period that would improve performance, its really on your backup team to determine where the bottle neck is and what they can do to improve performance

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In many cases seeing as they are on EV6 chances are they are on old hardware and maybe even an older backup device.

They should look at faster disk, faster backup hardware like LTO4 and GB network adapters if they are backing up remotely 

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Thanks guys!

-John