cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 6.0 restore File archives

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi All,

Is there a way to restore all the file archive back to the file server or other storage on EV6?

Understand that only EV7 is able to do using the fsautil.

We currently want to skip the upgrade path and install new EV10 for our customer but wanted to restore the archives first.

THanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

This ExcludedExes Registry is present on the File Server that is running Placeholder Service. You need to make change on File Server.

I think you need to go for backup program that EV aware.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

It's not like solution but we can say like workaround.

Run the backup or any type of file scanning program that does not honor the file system offline attributes, which could recalls of all items marked as placeholder.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Just as a matter of interest - how many items/files have they currently got archived?

Working for cloudficient.com

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Don't forget to check the usage.asp report. You need to make sure you have enough space in the file server to recall all the placeholders and this report will show you the actual size of the archived data. An antivirus scan might work but, as EV_Ajay mentioned, you need to make sure it does not honor the file system offline attributes.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shah,

Have you tried the steps mentioned above to recall the archive files.

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the feedback

Currently we wanted to recall less than 100GB of archives.

I got an question. EV_Ajay mentioned that we need to run a backup or file scanning program to recall the placeholder items.

May I know if you can tell me what kind of application that can help me recall the items? I don't really understand that part. (Backup software example BackupExec or Windows NTbackup which can be ran to restore all the files?)

Sorry guys, I'm not really good at EV.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

You need to Edit ExcludedExes Registry and remove the BackupProgram.exe (BackupExec exe from this registry). So it will recall the placeholder at the time of backup run.

ExcludedExes : It is used to exclude applications from recalling Enterprise Vault (EV) File System Archiving (FSA) placeholder files during a backup or scan.

Refer :-

---------------

How to exclude applications from recalling Enterprise Vault (EV) File System Archiving (FSA) placeholder files during a backup or scan.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51039

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi EV_Ajay,

Thanks for the help. Please correct me if Im wrong.

I need to goto the EV server's registry and remove the BackupProgram.exe? In this way, when I ran my backup application, it will recall the placeholder with the original file back to my file server?

Because my EV also include PST archiving, will it also recall the PST archives? Or it will only recall items that was ran on my file server?

Can I just use Windows NT backup (Available in Windows 2003) to do the backing up? Or do I need a backup program that is EV aware?

Thanks again

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

This ExcludedExes Registry is present on the File Server that is running Placeholder Service. You need to make change on File Server.

I think you need to go for backup program that EV aware.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

Have you apply ExcludedExes Registry on the File Server? Are want any asssitance from me, please let me know.

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi EV_Ajay,

I've try remove all the exe in the registry key and then restart the PlaceHolder service.

But when I use BackupExec 10d to backup the File server (I only select a folder for testing purposes), the placeholder file still did not recover.

Is there a need to reboot the file server after changing the registry?

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

Try to reboot the File Server .......

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

You might need to verify if BE is excluding offline files. If you have an antivirus program, running a full scan including all files might work as well. The point is that the app needs to touch or read each file, including offline files. Some applications, such as McAffee, have an option to exclude files that were migrated to a secondary storage, which means Offline Files. If you already remove the executable from the registry key, you just need to restart the placeholder service.

Also, the ExcludedExes registry key should be under two locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService\PassThrough

For 32 bits versions, locations are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService\PassThrough

I hope this helps.

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Removing of the regkey does help. When I perform a Antivirus scan on the archive folder, the items will be restored. But somehow when I ran BackupExec the file still unable to restore.

Nonetheless, I realise some file copying software like Robocopy can help to recall the file archives even without editing the regkey.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Shan,

That's great news. Also got another information that you use Robocopy which also recall files without editing regkey. This information willhelp us in future.

Thanks,