cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 7.5 Change of domain and SP5 Installation problem

graham1871
Level 3

Hi, we have an old EV 7.5 server that we wish to join to a new domain to provide access to some old mailbox archvies.

I have joined the server to the new domain and am using a new service account on the new domain.

I have changed all the service accounts for SQL and changed the databases to be owned by the new service account.

I ran into a problem changing the service account within EV Administration Console regarding "unable to change password encryption" or similar and was advised to upgrade the service pack to fix.

I installed SP5 for EV7.5, which ran successfully. 

I have the directory and admin services running.
On trying to run "Enterprise Vault Configuration" it fails with "could not connect to the directory service" and appears to kill the directory service at the same time.  It puts the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database in single user mode (which I understand it does in order to start the upgrade).

If have tried putting the database back in multi-user mode and re-starting the directory and admin services before trying the upgrade configuration again - but I get the same problem each time.

In the event viewer I get error ID 8557 which led me to:

http://clientui-kb.symantec.com/kb/index?page=content&id=TECH51326&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&sear...

I also get information ID 8229 which led me to:

http://clientui-kb.symantec.com/kb/index?page=content&id=TECH67358&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&sear...

I have followed all the advice but still have the same problem.

Any pointers very much appreciated!

Unfortunately we can't upgrade to EV8 or higher as the server won't support it.

We just want to bring these old archive files back on-line for now so people can access their archived mailboxes.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

graham1871
Level 3

The directory service now seems to be running...

All it took was this:

TRUNCATE TABLE ENTERPRISEVAULTDIRECTORY.DBO.KEYSTORE

That's it!

It looks like there are other issues but this is a breakthrough at least.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you dtrace the directory service and then attach the log to this thread.

graham1871
Level 3

Hi Percy,

Please find the log file attached.

This trace is from starting the service, running the EV Configuration tool and finishes after the tool reports error.

Thanks,

Graham

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From the log it seems that you are getting an access denied (80004005) when trying to connect to SQL. Are you sure that the new service account permissions in SQL allow the ev service account the DB Creator role?

evencryptionservice::PassPhraseMgr::GetPassPhrase() - FindValidPassPhrase() returned an error, hr=:80004005

Have you tried creating an ODBC / system DSN connection to the SQL server from the EV server?

graham1871
Level 3

Thanks for looking at this - much appreciated.

I have tested the ODBC connections that were already there and it appears successful.

The service account is set as an admin account in SQL.

I've attached a couple of screen grabs.

Thanks.

graham1871
Level 3

I still can't get this to work.  I've used the same domain username and password throughout for all the services and for the databases.    The domain account is a network admin and administrator of the machine EV is on.

Is there anywhere else I need to check permissions/account used do you know?

Thanks.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

graham1871
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it's not possible to change the account in the VAC as the upgrade configuration will not run. 

This means that when I launch the VAC it asks for the server running the EV Directory and when I give it the right name it fails to connect as the directory service can't run on that machine.

I have already changed the account using services.msc but this makes no difference.

Basically I can't get the directory service running properly as the upgrade configuration is pending and that upgrade won't run because of the problems above.

When I do start the directory service via services.msc it happily shows as running until I either try the upgrade configuration or run the VAC - at which point it dies again.

graham1871
Level 3

I still have this same problem but I've ran out of places to look.

Does anyone have any pointers to try and resolve this?

Thanks.

graham1871
Level 3

I'm still getting the following in the dtrace log:

172    10:58:33.705     [2696]    (DirectoryService)    <1424>    EV:M    evencryptionservice::PassPhraseMgr::DecryptPassPhrase()...
173    10:58:33.705     [2696]    (DirectoryService)    <1424>    EV:M    evencryptionservice::PassPhraseMgr::FindValidPassPhrase() cant find the valid passphrase, passphrases loaded:1
174    10:58:33.705     [2696]    (DirectoryService)    <1424>    EV:M    evencryptionservice::PassPhraseMgr::GetPassPhrase() - FindValidPassPhrase() returned an error, hr=:80004005 

Where can I set the passphrase for the "evencryptionservice"?

graham1871
Level 3

I hadn't realised that there was SP6..

Anyway, I have upgraded to SP6 and I still have exactly the same problem.

It's getting desperate  - so if there's any EV7.5 genius out there please get in touch.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you restore the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database prior the to upgrade and uninstall sp 5 and re-install previous version?  basically do a roll back.

There are some things that can be done, but I don't really want to post those SQL commands here.  You should call support to have them assist if you can't roll back.

graham1871
Level 3

Thanks.

I'm still waiting for a response from support.

I see it's not possible to uninstall service packs - is it possible to reinstall the original version over the top?

By the way, I'm not interested in archiving on the new domain - I just want to provide access to old archived e-mail boxes.

graham1871
Level 3

The directory service now seems to be running...

All it took was this:

TRUNCATE TABLE ENTERPRISEVAULTDIRECTORY.DBO.KEYSTORE

That's it!

It looks like there are other issues but this is a breakthrough at least.