cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 7.5

craign
Level 2

Greetings folks,

As I saw another post regarding 7.5 I figured I would start my own.    

Our aging 7.5 install  lost it's main SQL server last year.   We were able to restore some of it.

I am able to perform searches and get valid results.  

My problem comes when I try to view or restore an item  either in the web browser or the EV console itself. 

They all seem to time out and return nothing in the event logs.  

I do get the always handy   "Could not show this item, please try again, if it fails, contact your EV admin."   error message in the console, but the web page just times out.   I can see the archive ID and can browse the NTFS vault store location  ("dvs files" ?)   but I believe the problem is around the index that was in the old SQL server.  I have tried rebuilding index   and several other "hey let's try this" actions, but nothing so far.   I am not even sure where to start over again.  

Since I have limited knowledge of this platform but have seemed to inheret the title of EV Admin, I am seeking help for this out-of-support platform.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations!

-Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Good afternoon, Craig;

First, the indexes that you search against are not located on the SQL Server.  Those are physical files located on your EV server's drives.  The indexes contain data from each item that was archived so that we can search the indexes to find items based on the criteria you specify. When you click on a found item to preview it, we look at the URL that is returned with the item to know that VaultID and SavesetID to have the storage service go fetch from the Vault Store Partition (the physical location in the folder struction on disk) in which the item resides.

Since you can find the DVS files (these are the actual archived items) in the Vault Store Partition, there seems to be a disconnect between where the indexed data is telling EV to look and where those items really reside.  With EV 7.5, we had a tool called DVS Checker that may be used to scan the Vault Store Partition(s) and update the database with information for each item found that would allow EV to reconnect with those items when found in a search.  Look in the EV installation folder (default location is 'C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault') to see if you have a file named "CheckDVS.exe".  If you have that file, you have the DVS Checker utility.  Unfortunately, I can't provide it if you don't already have it.  You'll just need to upgrade as is and see if we can fix the issue with EVSVR.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Good afternoon, Craig;

First, the indexes that you search against are not located on the SQL Server.  Those are physical files located on your EV server's drives.  The indexes contain data from each item that was archived so that we can search the indexes to find items based on the criteria you specify. When you click on a found item to preview it, we look at the URL that is returned with the item to know that VaultID and SavesetID to have the storage service go fetch from the Vault Store Partition (the physical location in the folder struction on disk) in which the item resides.

Since you can find the DVS files (these are the actual archived items) in the Vault Store Partition, there seems to be a disconnect between where the indexed data is telling EV to look and where those items really reside.  With EV 7.5, we had a tool called DVS Checker that may be used to scan the Vault Store Partition(s) and update the database with information for each item found that would allow EV to reconnect with those items when found in a search.  Look in the EV installation folder (default location is 'C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault') to see if you have a file named "CheckDVS.exe".  If you have that file, you have the DVS Checker utility.  Unfortunately, I can't provide it if you don't already have it.  You'll just need to upgrade as is and see if we can fix the issue with EVSVR.

craign
Level 2

Thank you for the information -  at least I can breath knowing the data is there.  (I have the manual instructions on doing earches, getting the ID and then finding the corresponding DVS). 

I searched high and low for CheckDVS, and it was not anywhere to be found on the system. 

A google search returned this forum post. :)

I will look for upgrading, thanks.  I already have my eye on evsvr in hopes it will stave off any manual efforts.