cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 Correct Retention Category not showing in Outlook

Julian_Southern
Level 3

Hello

I have one retention category for all our users called '7 Years'. This is the Default for the site. For some reason not all users seem to be getting this i.e. if they look at the properties in Outlook of their e-maill account the retention category is 'Business'.

We are currently using EV 8.0.4.1991 on Windows 2003 R2 SP2. This was recently upgraded (about 6 months ago) from EV 6.5. I couldn't tell you if all correct retention categories were being shown then I'm afraid. Has anybody got any clues as to why the correct retention category is not showing?

There are no errors in the Event Log and all is working fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Julian

12 REPLIES 12

Maverik
Level 6

Do the users have the option to archive an item manually and choose another retention cat?

Does the retention cat "Business" exist?

If you carry out a test archiving run what category is used now? Manually archive an item what is used?

Julian_Southern
Level 3

Hi - Thanks for the reply.

Yes they do the option and they can choose any category.

We have 4 categories, Business, Personal, Public (I assume these are there by default) and 7 Years.

If I manually archive an item the default category that is selected is Business. If I change that to 7 Years the category for the account is still Business.

Regards

Maverik
Level 6

If I manually archive an item the default category that is selected is Business. If I change that to 7 Years the category for the account is still Business.

Not got access to a EV system at the moment to test the first point from the above, that the first option you see is busines for ret cat on a manual archive when this is not the default. 

Secondly are you saying that if you archive an item manually under the seven year ret cat that when you look back at the item it states the business one is applied?!! If so that sound really really wrong and I would recommend you open a support case with SYMC.  Unfortunatley something like that probably would require some quite indepth investigation unless it is an issue they are already aware of.

Julian_Southern
Level 3

If I manually archive an item the default category that is selected is Business. If I change that to 7 Years the category for the account is still Business. Sorry I didn't really make much sense there, the default catergory is Business for a manual archive. If I then check the ret cat for to entire mailbox after it is still Business.

If I archive an Item using the & Year category, that is the policy that is applied.

Maverik
Level 6

Let me check what behavior I get in my lab and Ill let you know.

Julian_Southern
Level 3

Ok - Thanks very much.

Maverik
Level 6

Hi,

I have tested this in my lab with HTTP only client EV9 and EV9 on the server.  Both are base versions.

I altered the default retention cat and re-run provisioning.  Manually archived an item and confirmed that it used the default. 

Therefore the question now I think is is the EV hidden message being updated with the correct retention cat.

If you carry out a client trace and look for the value below what does this read?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276094

DEFAULTRETENTIONCATEGORYID

The you can take this value and run the following SQL query.

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory

select * from retentioncategoryentry where retentioncategoryid = 'the value obtained from client trace'

Do the results then match up with the correct rention category? If not then the issue is the default retention category is not being synced. If it is correct then something else is wrong.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sorry I didn't really make much sense there, the default catergory is Business for a manual archive. If I then check the ret cat for to entire mailbox after it is still Business.

Where are you checking the default for the entire mailbox?

The default for the mailbox/archive is set when you provision and/or enable a new mailbox.

Working for cloudficient.com

Julian_Southern
Level 3

Thanks for that.

Right. They do match up with the correct retention category.

Julian_Southern
Level 3

I'm checking on the properties of the mailbox in Outlook then clicking on the Enterprise Vault tab.

Maverik
Level 6

Hi Julian,

So if you check on the provisioning target for the user testing with is this set to business or seven years? 

I expect it is set to the seven years if the default one on hidden message is set to seven years as you say. 

I would expect manual archiving to look at the default set ret category via the hidden message. If this is set correctly as you say cannot see why it is going wrong. Would need more in depth analysis then I can think of doing via a forum.  May be Rob has more ideas.  Sorry could not help more.

Julian_Southern
Level 3

The provisioning group ret cat is set to 7 Years as you suspected.

Many thanks for your help with this.