Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 SP2 - Export caused Duplication in Calendar Items

GauravAditya
Level 5
Hello All,

I am facing an issue here. 

Users Mailbox Archives have been exported / restored to the original location (using VAC) and now we see duplicate calendar items.

Is there are way we can get rid of these?
10 REPLIES 10

Krister
Level 5
Hi!

I also have faced a similar problem.

When restoring mail from the archive to the mailbox it didnt deleted the shortcuts to the vault so the user had two icons to the same mail.

The explanation that I got was that there is a bug in EV and it wont be corrected until version 9.

/Krister

GauravAditya
Level 5
Dear Krister,

The work around for Duplicate Emails is as below: - ( This is a Per User workaround)

NOTE: - BEFORE PERFORMING THESE STEPS, PLEASE CONFIRM THAT THERE ARE DUPLICATES TO ALL THE SHORTCUTS ELSE DO NOT PERFORM THESE STEPS.

1. Open Outlook 
2. Open Advanced Find (CTRL+SHIFT+F)
3. Click on Advanced Tab
4. Change the FIELD to MESSAGE CLASS | CONDITION to 'contains' | and type the VALUE as IPM.NOTE.ENTERPRISEVAULT.SHORTCUT
5. Click Add List button and click Find Now...

You will find all the EV mail shortcuts and you can select all and delete them.

---------------------------------------------------

However, what my issue is that I have duplicate CALENDAR Items and not mail.

Anyone, please help me with this if you have steps / workaround as for the emails I have mentioned in this thread above.

Krister
Level 5
Thanks for the tip! As you say...its a workaround.
Not possible to do on 2000 users.

Sorry that I couldnt help you with the calender issue.

/Krister

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
So you had to do this restore operation for all 2000 users?? The workaround that GauravAditya is a client side one, and would take each user about 10 minutes to complete...

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
HAHAHAHA,

I wanna see you get 2000 clients to do that.... that's 333 man hours, or 14 days work... quite a loss for a company if you as me....

jajensen
Level 4
Partner
The underlying problem here is that Enterprise Vault no longer makes shortcuts out of calendar items when archiving them.  The most it can do is strip attachments from the calendar item and replace that with a link within the calendar item itself. 

So when the calendar items were restored, there were no shortcuts to replace.  That being the case, the workaround where you'd be looking for the shortcut message class wouldn't work either.

The issue at this point is that of having duplicates in Exchange that have no real relation to anything Enterprise Vault-specific.  So unless Microsoft has some sort of tool that finds and removes duplicates, there's no viable solution.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Guys, Guys, Guys, Guys, Guys.

Just had two comments on my post to GPKGuy.

GPKGuy and I go back... The above comment was not slating him although it might have come across like that... I was purely taking the mickey out of him that's all....

--wayne

GauravAditya
Level 5
So are we saying that this a Microsoft issue? Firstly, it doesnt creates a shortcut and then if required to restore it duplicates...This is not an issue but a bug.

Can someone please authenticate this information that there is no way to get rid of this and that it is a Microsoft related issue?

GauravAditya
Level 5
Any updates / Solutions for this issue? 

GauravAditya
Level 5
Did anyone find any workaround for this issue?