Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 SP2 Icons randomly disappear and reappear

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

we have a few users enabled for EV, most of the users are still not enabled.
The problem exists on some of the microsoft terminal servers and on local workstations. All have Outlook 2007 installed.

First case:
A local workstation with a user, enabled since 4 weeks. He suddenly didnt had the icons on the bar nor under Extras --> Enterprise Vault.
After he tried to open an archived email the icons and the menu magically reappeared. An ideas?

Second case:
A user(acutally 4 user) on a terminal server. She (like 4 other users) was newly enabled in the last days and already has archived items. The Icons and the menu arnt there, if you reopen Outlook again and again you might be lucky and suddenly the icons reappear. At the moment i cant get the icons back to show.
Is this an issue with the terminal server? EV Enabled User and "normal" Users are working on the same Server. Could that mess up the Addin? (However, the addin should only work for ev enabled users..) The other EV-enabled users on the TS didnt report any issues so far.

*attach trace

What happens, if i run the ResetEVClient Tool? The valkyrie.dll seems like a "global" dll. So running the tool will perform every action for all Users? Or just for the one that runs the tool? Can i run it as an Administrator to apply it to all users?

Any other ideas, whats messing up the icons for the users?

greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

we worked around this issue by deleting the user profiles on the Terminalserver upon logoff.
No Problems have been reported since then.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
annet,

Please remove the cut and past of the log from your first post and attach it as an attachment.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
The ResetEVClient is run per user, and it basically doe a number of operations including clearing the forms cache, which sounds like your issue. Technote for ResetEVClient http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293258.htm

You may also want to check that the add-in isn't being disabled, look within Outlook.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
To do ......

On the users that don't show any icons ..

Browse to the EVClient location in the registry,
Change the logging level to 3
Start Outlook
Buttons don't appear?  Attach the client log file from _that_.

My first thought would be whether these people are going over quota?  If a user goes over their send/receive quota, when the mailbox synchronisation runs we delete the users current hidden mesage (with their desktop settings in it) and create a new one.  If you're over quota, the delete works, the create doesn't.  Net result is you end up with no icons, because the EV client checks for the hidden message, which isn't there.  The log file will tell us is.
Working for cloudficient.com

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

the addon isnt disabled in Outlook, first thing we checked :) Also we dont use any sort of quotas on the exchange nor on the EV.

Ok, will try to describe my findings now:

The environment has several terminalserver. We tested it on two of them, Server 4 and 5 now.
If i log in UserA(which is EV enabled) on Server 4, the EV Addin works the first time Outlook is started. After closing and reopening, the Icons are gone, but i can still open Archived Emails.
We made UserA DomainAdmin and tested with ResetEVClient, and also reinstalled the EV Addin, no luck, still no icons. Also, the Registry Key under HK_Current_Users seems to be missing.

Now i log in Admin on Server 4 and map the mailbox from UserA as my primary Mailbox. The Addins are there and working, even after several Outlook restarts. Also, the HK_Current_User Key is there.
Now i thought, its a problem with the Installation of the client(as the Registry Key was missing). So i logged in UserA to Server 3. Here it was the same like with Server 4. The Addin worked the first time Outlook was started, after that the icons went missing. But, on this server, the key under hk_current_user is present.
So i set the LoggingLevel Key to 3 and restarted Outlook, here is the output from the Client log:

04/11/2009 13:41:15.690[18028]: Log file created (level 3).

04/11/2009 13:41:15.690[18028]: CDesktop::FinalConstruct: 0x0

04/11/2009 13:41:15.691[18028]: DesktopCommonConfig::LogonToMAPI: 0x0

04/11/2009 13:41:15.708[18028]: ~DesktopCommonConfig::LogonToMAPI: 0x0

04/11/2009 13:41:15.709[18028]: Connections now on Desktop object: 1

04/11/2009 13:41:15.709[18028]: ~CDesktop::FinalConstruct: 0x0

04/11/2009 13:41:15.709[18028]: CDesktopUI::HookExplorersEvents: 0x0

04/11/2009 13:41:15.709[18028]: ~CDesktopUI::HookExplorersEvents: 0x0

(yes, nothing more, just that!)

It cant be a problem with the Userprofile, as several, newly-enabled users have that problem.
All are using the same Desktop and Mailbox Policy.

(Edit: i have a bug in this text it seems.... the output log is only the stuff, that starts with date and time

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
In my reference to quota's I wasn't meaning that the Outlook add-in is disabled on the client...  it's just a hidden disablement, but you'd see something of that in the client log.

Your checking to see if it is disabled is a good check though.

So with regards to Outlook ... did you enable VBScript support, per my article ?  Normaly it wouldn't cause a problem at this early stage, and I don't have a client log that shows trace like you showed.  Can you :

a) Uninstall the add-in
b) Reinstall the add-in as an administrator of the server, who it would be best if they are EV enabled as well
c) Open Outlook
d) Close Outlook
e) Review the client log
f) open Outlook - icons still there?
g) close outlook
h) Review the client log

Article : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/ev-outlook-add-windows-2008-x64-terminal-server  I know it refers to Windows 2008 x64, however, the bit about vbscript is still relevant, because that relates generically to Office 2007.

The errors in your original client trace snippet seem to relate to permissions :

04/11/2009 11:31:47.957[7280]: CThreadManager: Unable to Add thread THID=1496

Is there any configuration which has taken place on your server to prevent "regular" users from spawning threads?

If I get time I'll try a Windows 2003 R2 server...  my article covers Windows 2008, not sure how similiar/different they'd be.

Remember also that EV is not supported on a terminal server... but we can try our best to help sort through what's going wrong (it _should_ work, but it's not certified).

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello Rob,

yes we did enabled VBSCript Support 2 weeks ago on all Terminalservers (this EV installation isnt that old).

We dont administer this EV, we just support it. So how would "prevent "regular" users from spawning threads" look like? Any places i could check? And why does it work onces? :D

I did test it on more TSs now:
I log in UserA and open Outlook. Icons are there.  I close Outlook and reopen it. Icons are gone but i can still access archived items. Often, when a user logged into the same TS close and reopen Outlook, their icons are gone too, but i also found cases, where the icons stay where they are.
Fun fact: icons are there on ALL TSs when i log in with my Admin and open the mailbox as primary... So, that permission stuff you mentioned might be interesting.
I found exactly 1 Server so far(out of 12), where i cant get the Icons to disappear(with UserA). I can reopen outlook as often as i want, they stay there.

Althought i already tried a reinstall, i will try a deinstall + install now.

Thank you for your help

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ehm sorry, but how to add attachements? I know how i can add pictures.. but texts?

I copied it into a pastebin:

Client Trace Missing Icons:
http://pastebin.ca/1656786

Client Trace Working Icons with the same user, different server:
http://pastebin.ca/1656787

The reinstall will be tested tonight, when no users are logged in.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'll take a look at the traces, and let you know what I find.

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Ok new information for you...

we tried to deactivate all addins and then reactivating one by one. (they are globally managed)
Atfer all addins where deactivated(except the EV Client) the icons where still there... we then reactivated one by one.. and guess what. After all where reactivated the icons where still there :(

We tested this on 3 server which didnt worked before... and now all icons are still there on UserA...

I hate Murhpy.

So, does Outlook load the Addins in the order you have checked them?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
hmm....

To be honest I don't know the answer to that question, any luck with googling it?

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Answer is:

Outlook loads the Addins in the order of their ID's in the registry. Its something  which cannot be influenced.

Rob, did you found out anything from the logs? The problem showed up again, same client logs as above. Now it isnt even possible to open an archived email.

Are there plans to support the EV Addin on Terminal Servers?

greetings
Anett

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

we worked around this issue by deleting the user profiles on the Terminalserver upon logoff.
No Problems have been reported since then.