cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 SP5 File Server 2008 R2 SP1

jpd75999
Level 3

Hello,

I have Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP5 and a target File Server Cluster on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1 (32-bist) with a data disk, I want to change the disk of data  from this cluster to a new File Server Cluster on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bits).

The Enterprise Vault compatibility charts guide says:

Microsoft Cluster Server included with Windows Server 2008 x64 edition R2 SP1 is approved for EV 8.0 but Microsoft Cluster Server included with Windows Server 2008 x64 edition R2 SP1 (using WOW64)  is not approved.

What is the meaning of WOW64 I have installed the executable "Enterprise Vault System File Archiving x64.msi" on both nodes but I don´t know what mode my server is working!!!

Please help me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified

WOW64 does not need to be disabled or uninstalled.  As Rob and I both mentioned, installing the 64-bit Agent is the key to the "supported or unsupported" question.  There are bits of the install that use the x86 emulation (tracing comes to mind) but the filter will be 64-bit and once your OS and SP are supported, you will have a supported configuration for your file server.

I verified this with the certification team and their answer was the same as ours.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Gonz
Level 5
Employee

WOW64 it is what allows to run 32 bits applications in 64 bits machines

Take a look to this post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/philpenn/archive/2009/03/02/running-32-bit-applications-on-windows-server-20...

jpd75999
Level 3

Gracias Gonzalo, eres un fiera!!

Soporte excelente.

jpd75999
Level 3

Sorry but this solution is not valid, this feature is only available on Windows Server 2008 Core Edition, how I can disable WOW64 in enterprise edition??

Thanks

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified

Microsoft Cluster Server included with Windows Server 2008 x64 R2 SP1 is still listed as Pending Certification.  

Only Windows Server 2008 x64 SP1, SP2 and base R2 are certified at this time.

jpd75999
Level 3

OK, but if in the future this version is approved, ¿how I disable WOW64 in Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition?

Thanks

jpd75999
Level 3

anyone can help me?

Thanks

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified

I'm pretty sure you don't have to un-install WOW64.  You just have to use the 64-bit version of the Placeholder install. 

WOW64 functionality would only be used if you install a 32-bit app.

But I will verify this and report back.

jpd75999
Level 3

Hello Kopjjager, I have installed FSA Agent in my Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition 64-bit with the next steps (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135734:(

- On a 64-bit Windows computer run vcredist_x86.exe and then vcredist_x64.exe.

- On a 64-bit Windows computer run Enterprise Vault File System Archiving x64.msi.

And I see the registry key KVS in WOW6432Node and Enterprise Vault folder exits in c:\Program Files(x86).

¿?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

OK, let's try to get this back on track.

The FSA Agent provides binaries for installing on 32 and 64 bit. This means that if the system is 64 bit you should install the 64 bit of the Agent. the FSA Agent will not run the 32 bit in WOW mode.

Well, that actually applies to the filter drivers where the actual Windows Services installed by the FSA Agent will still be installed within the 32 bit folder path as any 32 bit application installed on a 64 bit OS.

Now back to your original question, I am interested in how you intend to achieve this migration. 

I would strongly recommend you to think and plan this carefully before you attempt real migration as there are quite a few considerations to be made due to the fact that you have already archived data under the current virtual file server.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

If you are planning to just move the shared disk to the new cluster, you will certainly have issues as the records in the dB have references to the existing virtual file server. The only way I could imagine this working is if you would recreate the cluster environment in a way that the virtual file server name and IP would be exactly the same as the existing one with the same storage mappings as the current one.

A more realistic approach would be to migrate the data with FSAUtility

jpd75999
Level 3

Ok, the process of migration is easy, I don't need FSAutility: stop the archive task, stop the old cluster, start the new cluster with same virtual name, paths and shares and change de data disk from old cluster to the new cluster.

Now, I have the same question Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 is pending, OK but in the future it wil be supported, but NOT in WOW64 Mode.

I have installed Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 and FSA agent x64 binaries but the operating system must be working in WOW64 mode because Enterprise Vault is installed in C:\Program Files (x86) and KVS key is in WOW643Node, how can I disable WOW64 Mode from Windows Server 2008 Enterprise??

Thanks

jpd75999
Level 3

Nobody can help me?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Your question was already answered on my first posting. You do not have to worry about disabling WOW. EV has been designed to work with the supported OS versions and architecture

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

You seem to be confident with the Migration steps. I would just add a recommendation to have a full backup of the shared data under the clustered file server before you go ahead with the migration. Issues usually occur when we least expect. If you can a simulation at a small scale on a parallel system it would provide you with valuable answers.

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified

WOW64 does not need to be disabled or uninstalled.  As Rob and I both mentioned, installing the 64-bit Agent is the key to the "supported or unsupported" question.  There are bits of the install that use the x86 emulation (tracing comes to mind) but the filter will be 64-bit and once your OS and SP are supported, you will have a supported configuration for your file server.

I verified this with the certification team and their answer was the same as ours.

Hope that helps.

jpd75999
Level 3

Ok, now all is clear I don't need to see if program is installed on one directory or another, installing 64-bit version of agent is the key. Documentation It´s confuse, because Microsoft says that 64-bits programs with WOW64 diabled are created in Program Files, not Program Files (x86)...

One note for installing Enterprise Vault File System Archiving x64.msi its necessarry install the 2 versions of vcredist (vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe) for avoid a setup error.

I have a lab and make the steps of the next article http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73261 (but I don't use Backup Software because I move the entire disk) and all is working fine....