cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 and MSSQL 2005 Configuration issue

RFEM_Helpdesk
Level 2
 Is there anyone who can provide a SQL newbie assistance in setting up a task or job to do truncating of the EV SQL logs every 15 minutes please?

David Schumacher
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Oh ok

Well to set these up you do it under the Management, Maintence plans in SQL Server Management Studio

First create your full backup plan of your databases to .BAK file to start after your archiving runs complete each night. So if you have archiving set to run between 12 and 5am then you can start your full backup at 5:10

Next you need to create a new plan and name it to something thats descriptive like "Enterprise Vault Production Backup Plan" and schedule it to start every day at 5:10 (the time on this will depend on when your nightly archive run ends)

In the plan dialog window where you et the details of the plan you set the following
Connection:   Local Server Connection
Backup Type:  Full
Databases: All Databases

Back up to: Disk (this is what i did in my case)
Create a backup file for every database
Enable the tick box for Create Sub Directory for each Database
Enter the location where the BAK files will be stored l:\daily bak files (you can call this whatever you like. make sure you have disk available to store these files each time this is run)

Backup file extention: bak
Enable the tick box for Verify Backup integrity

This will then set the plan to create daily .BAK files of each database

The setup for the Transaction log plan is almost the same with a few exceptions
The backup type is Transaction Log and in my case the directory is different and the Backup file extention is set to trn

Also this will put the files on a disk on your server or SAN or whatever you are using for storage. These will need to be collected and put to tape each day then the contents of the directories should be deleted.

In my case  run my backups and then take the .bak and .trn files off to tape and delete the files from the server. so each day after SQL makes the backups to disk (8am my time) at noon i backup those directories to tape and then delete the files from disk so as i wont flood my storage with backups

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RFEM_Helpdesk
Level 2
 VOVAGRIN - Thank you for the response and the link. I have seen this I was more specifically looking to see if someone could assist with a configuration as suggested by the following:

Truncating the event logs is

Truncating the event logs is what the guys offering help mean. You truncate the content of the logs out to a file which shrinks your actual SQL log files. You can use these truncated files and replay them to repopulate the event logs.

What we do is truncate the logs every 15 mins. We also backup the SQL in full mode to a .bak file. Each morning we then backup the .bak file and the truncated logs to tape and delete them from the disk

By truncating your logs like this you end up with a max of 15 mins of data loss in your SQL

We also have our SQL clustered and we can fail between clusters and not have any outage on our EV or SQL

If you are having issues then maybe there is something wrong with the way you clustered your SQL

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Oh you are looking for someone to create the setup for you on your SQL servers?

RFEM_Helpdesk
Level 2
 I was hoping you would respond. It was actually one of your posts that I pulled this information from. No, I really don't need someone to do it for me, just the guidance to set up the truncating portion. I would like to have a 15 minute window such as your configuration.

Thank you so much in advance.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Oh ok

Well to set these up you do it under the Management, Maintence plans in SQL Server Management Studio

First create your full backup plan of your databases to .BAK file to start after your archiving runs complete each night. So if you have archiving set to run between 12 and 5am then you can start your full backup at 5:10

Next you need to create a new plan and name it to something thats descriptive like "Enterprise Vault Production Backup Plan" and schedule it to start every day at 5:10 (the time on this will depend on when your nightly archive run ends)

In the plan dialog window where you et the details of the plan you set the following
Connection:   Local Server Connection
Backup Type:  Full
Databases: All Databases

Back up to: Disk (this is what i did in my case)
Create a backup file for every database
Enable the tick box for Create Sub Directory for each Database
Enter the location where the BAK files will be stored l:\daily bak files (you can call this whatever you like. make sure you have disk available to store these files each time this is run)

Backup file extention: bak
Enable the tick box for Verify Backup integrity

This will then set the plan to create daily .BAK files of each database

The setup for the Transaction log plan is almost the same with a few exceptions
The backup type is Transaction Log and in my case the directory is different and the Backup file extention is set to trn

Also this will put the files on a disk on your server or SAN or whatever you are using for storage. These will need to be collected and put to tape each day then the contents of the directories should be deleted.

In my case  run my backups and then take the .bak and .trn files off to tape and delete the files from the server. so each day after SQL makes the backups to disk (8am my time) at noon i backup those directories to tape and then delete the files from disk so as i wont flood my storage with backups