cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 not archiving email

BeezSK
Level 4

I have EV setup, there are no errors in the event logs and my mailbox archiving task runs but never archives anything. I am using Outlook 2003 as the MAPI on the server and everything is set for 3 months of retention. If I go into the archiving task and under schedule select "run now", if I pick the reports task and then ask it to list all the mailboxes it brings up the full list. If I choose archive or update shortcuts it tells me no mailboxes are found.

In the reports for the provinsioning task it shows my test mailboxes have been provisioned. I am currently using the administrator mailbox as the system mailbox for the task. The mailboxes that EV created in my exchange stores have been set so they are visibile to the GAL. I tested the admin account in outlook and it has access to all mailboxes in the org.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

In order for archiving to take place.

1.  You have to have enabled mailboxes for archiving.

2.  Those persons you are enabling should already exist in a provisioning group. (The provisioning group that they are in will select the correct Desktop and Mailbox Policies to apply to the enabled mailbox).

Before actually scheduling an archiving task to run.

1.  Try manually archiving a few items in your Outlook to ensure that archiving will take place without any issues.  Verify after archiving that you can search these items and see them displayed properly using archive explorer.

2.  Test run the archiving task in Report Mode instead of Normal mode.  Report mode will give you a text document that will report on the number of items that would be archived from each mailbox based on the policies that you configured.  No actual archiving is done, it is strictly a report text file for you to look at.

Before running your Archiving Task in normal mode.

1.  Ensure that you have backup agents installed on your vault server and are ready to complete a backup of all archiving you completed during a scheduled run.

Judy

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

How many mailboxes have you actually EV enabled in the Admin Console?  After you enabled the mailboxes for archivng, did you verify that they have an archive created for them?

Have you tried opening Outlook as one of the EV enabled mailboxes and manually archiving a couple of items of mail?  When you open their Outlook, can you see the EV buttons on the menu bar in Outlook?

Judy

BeezSK
Level 4
I ahve two account EV enabled I think, I put them in the express provisioning group. Is there a step I am missing?

I do not see the EV toolbar in Outlook after installing the Outlook Add-In.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

Putting them into a provisioning group doesn't enable them straight away (even if it's set to auto enable) as this is done when the archiving task runs.

Run the mailbox in normal mode to enable them(if you have used auto enable) or run the enable mailbox wizard to enable some users and then see what happens.    You can check if users are enabled as this will come out in report mode run.

BeezSK
Level 4
Thank you Dodo, my mailbox was not enabled. I have enabled it and the EV buttons appear in Outlook now. Nothing in the archive yet but this probably takes time. My folder structure in the vault store is still empty though.

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

In order for archiving to take place.

1.  You have to have enabled mailboxes for archiving.

2.  Those persons you are enabling should already exist in a provisioning group. (The provisioning group that they are in will select the correct Desktop and Mailbox Policies to apply to the enabled mailbox).

Before actually scheduling an archiving task to run.

1.  Try manually archiving a few items in your Outlook to ensure that archiving will take place without any issues.  Verify after archiving that you can search these items and see them displayed properly using archive explorer.

2.  Test run the archiving task in Report Mode instead of Normal mode.  Report mode will give you a text document that will report on the number of items that would be archived from each mailbox based on the policies that you configured.  No actual archiving is done, it is strictly a report text file for you to look at.

Before running your Archiving Task in normal mode.

1.  Ensure that you have backup agents installed on your vault server and are ready to complete a backup of all archiving you completed during a scheduled run.

Judy

BeezSK
Level 4
Thanks Judy, I followed your steps and mail is archiving now

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

No problem, good to hear.

Judy

BeezSK
Level 4
One question, in my mailbox all the items are marked with a clock beside them and "this item is being archived by EV, do not move or delete this item" but it does not appear they are going in the vault yet. My EV vault store has grown by 200MB which is roughly the size of items that would have been archived from the mailbox. Is this just a sit and wait thing?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If your safety copy strategy is after backup your items will remain pending until the Vault Store partition is backed up.

Regards,

BeezSK
Level 4
I know I have seen the option before but where is the safety copy option?

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

What you are seeing is the 'pending icon' or 'safety copy'.

In the properties of your vault store it is currently set to "Remove safety copy after backup".

Before you will see a permanent link or fully archived icon, you will need to complete a backup of the physical partition for your vault store (where you have stored all the archived data) as well backup the indexes for these archived items.  It is also critical that you back up 'all enterprise vault sql databases'.  (this step is not necessary to complete the archive) however, if you do not have a backup of EV sql databases and you have a loss of sql databases you will not be able to access any of your archived items.

You backup software must be able to reset the archive bit on the archived data files.  So either a full backup or incremental set to clear archive bit will need to be completed.

The steps to follow for a successful backup are detailed on page 351 of the Administrator's Guide.

If you are in a clustered environment or are completing snaps on a regular basis and do not need to backup prior to archiving, you have the option of setting the properties of your vault store to archive immediately.  Now that you have these pending icons you must run a backup to reset them to permanent icons.

I would recommend reading the backup section of the Admin Guide prior to making any decisions.

Judy

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

If you are in test mode and don't care if the data you archived is backed up for this particular archive run, you can set these items to permanent icon quickly by running an Attrib command.

At the root of the 'physical partition' go to a dos prompt and type the following;

attrib -a *.* /s

this will change all your safety copy icons to permanent icons.

Judy

BeezSK
Level 4

Thanks Judy, that was what I was looking to do.
I have two strange issues though

Only the items I manually put in the archive show up under archive explorer. The ones that were auto-archived do not show up.
When I click tools "enable users" it doesn't show any mailboxes available but if I choose disable then it shows me all of my newly provisioned mailboxes. How do I enable these?

BeezSK
Level 4
Archive explorer was fixed by refreshing the mailboxes and the folders in the archive explorer console. Still not sure about enabling mailboxes

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

If you can see the mailboxes to disable them, than I have to assume that they are already enabled for archiving.

Did you by chance, set your provisioning group to auto-enable mailboxes?.(Check the properties of the provisioning group under Archive Defaults to verify current settings). 

If you did, than all the people who existed in the provisioning group have been automatically enabled for archiving.  The enabling would have occurred at the running of the Archiving Task.  Did you also select 'Initially suspend archiving'?  If you did, nothing will be archived for those newly enabled mailboxes until the uses opts to start the archiving

If you are not seeing the archived items in archive explorer, try refreshing archive explorer(right click on any folder in AE and refresh).  It does not update instantly and it may only be a refresh issue.

Judy

BeezSK
Level 4
I do have it set to auto-enable and I do not have the suspend archive option enabled. When I try to manually run the archive and select "list mailboxes" it will only show me my one original mailbox.

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Have you run the Exchange Provisioning task yet?

If not go to the tasks for your Vault Server right click the provisioning task and run it in report mode first.

After it has run for a few minutes, go into C:\program files\enterpise vault\reports directory and open the report for the provisioning task.  Check to see if it would have listed any available mailboxes in report mode.

If it runs okay and finds something, try running the Exchange Provisioning Task in normal mode next.  Give it a few minutes and then try running your archiving task and selecting mailboxes.  You should be able to see available mailboxes now.

Judy

BeezSK
Level 4
Thanks again Judy, I was running it in report mode all the time and had the box checked off in the scheduled task to do report mode. I guess this does not run the task and make a report it just reports. Set both tasks to normal mode and something is happening now

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Good catch BeezSK.

Done that one myself.

Judy