cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8 Index Best Practices

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5
I've been reading the best practices for EV 7 and also read the best practices for EV 8 for Discovery Accelerator and they seem to contradict each other. The EV7 guide says to have 8 indexes and the DA guide says 4. I have an EV server dedicated to mailbox archiving and another for journal archiving. I also have a seperate server for DA. When we started (back in version 6 or so), we only have 5 index locations for the mailbox server and 1 index location for the journal.

Should these bost be increased to 8 index locations? I assume this is pointless for journaling but will I get a performance boost on the mailbox archiver?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

wtsend
Level 3
Employee Certified
If you currently have 5 indexes for mailbox archiving you should be fine.  8 would be better, but 5 is okay.  You should also have 1 Index location for each Journal Archive (up to 8).  Having more Index locations than you have associated archives is fruitless.  Creating additional index locations will only mitigate the issues, however, when you create new archive since the existing archives are already allocated to a specificed index location.  It is possible to move individual archive indexes in V8, but whether or not that would improve your search performance appreciably would require more investigation.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

wtsend
Level 3
Employee Certified
If you currently have 5 indexes for mailbox archiving you should be fine.  8 would be better, but 5 is okay.  You should also have 1 Index location for each Journal Archive (up to 8).  Having more Index locations than you have associated archives is fruitless.  Creating additional index locations will only mitigate the issues, however, when you create new archive since the existing archives are already allocated to a specificed index location.  It is possible to move individual archive indexes in V8, but whether or not that would improve your search performance appreciably would require more investigation.