cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8 SP3/Ex2k3 - Provisioning Task

ricp
Level 4

Hi all,

We have been adding new users into EV for some time now, but have been noticing that the mailboxes take a good few hours to be visible in the enable mailbox wizard. We initially thought it was to do with the Exchange mailbox itself becoming activated either through user logon or an email sent to it. But from what I've read, new mailboxes only become visible in the enable mailbox wizard once the provisioning task has run. Is that correct? This task currently runs 10am and 4pm each day.

We have just managed to offload the enable mailbox task to our SD thankfully, but they are pretty impatient when it comes to wanting to close calls. I have tried to add a second provisioning task, so as to quicken the process of adding users throughout the day, but EV won't let me as it says a PT already exists. Is there any way of getting the task to run more frequently or adding a second task so that it can run, say, every 2 hours during business hours? Is this feature available in later realeases of EV? We are pushing for an upgrade.

Thanks for any input,

Ric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You would manually have to do a run now against the provisioning task.
If you wanted to , you could give someone the Vault Admin Console installed on their workstation and use RBA so that they have permissions to run the provisioning task themselves whenever they need to.

The thing is in large domains the provisioning task can take upwards of an hour to run so having it run multiple times a day on a schedule may add significant enough load to the AD infrastructure to cause concern.

But if they get a request, simply go to the provisioning task, do a run now, then try the enable mailbox wizard after that

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6

You would manually have to do a run now against the provisioning task.
If you wanted to , you could give someone the Vault Admin Console installed on their workstation and use RBA so that they have permissions to run the provisioning task themselves whenever they need to.

The thing is in large domains the provisioning task can take upwards of an hour to run so having it run multiple times a day on a schedule may add significant enough load to the AD infrastructure to cause concern.

But if they get a request, simply go to the provisioning task, do a run now, then try the enable mailbox wizard after that

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

What are they trying to accomplish?  You can set the provisioning group(w) to auto-enable.  That way, when the user is added to the appropriate group that makes up the provisioning group, EV will automatically do the rest of the work in it's normal processes.  No need to manually enable a mailbox for archiving.  Besides, with a new mailbox there's nothing there to be archived anyway.

JesusWept3
Level 6

I think the issue isn't the enabling it part, its that when you do want to enable them, they're not listed in the new mailbox wizard because the provisioning hasn't run yet, then after provisioning does run at its scheduled time, those mailboxes are there for enablement.

Anwho even if you did set the provisioning task to enable the mailbox, it would only become enabled once the scheduled archiving task was run, so you would see a further delay in the archive being created.

So the answer is quite simply, run the provisioning task manually, wait for it to go from "processing" to "Running" and then enable the mailbox.

But agreed with WiTSend that if its a new mailbox, what is the rush.

ricp
Level 4

Thanks for your responses.

Primarily this issue is for our good old Service Desk so that they don't have new users calls sitting on their stack for a long period of time while they wait for the new user to appear in the enable mailbox wizard. They are very busy apparently and it might damage their stats!

I've looked at the Automatically Enable Mailboxes, but it mentions that it would also enable current mailboxes, which we don't want as not all users are trained in EV use etc. Is there any way of doing it just for new users?

Thanks JW2 for the RBA comment. I found this which will help: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/roles-based-administration-enterprise-vault-8

as that was another query I had regarding roles. I initially thought that you could only tie down access to EV depending if the admin user had access to the corresponding Exchange server etc, but I thought this would still be too open. So you have inadvertinately answered another question I was going to post.

Thanks again

ricp
Level 4

With regards RBA, is there a different Operation that I can assign to users apart from 'Can manage EV Exchange provisioning tasks'? This is the only one I can see and not sure if this may give too much freedom to the SD user if they are only trying to run the Prov task manually to make the new users appear quicker in Enable mailbox wizard?

JesusWept3
Level 6
To be honest I don't know much about RBA and it can possibly give too much freedom, I just know that people that really lock their environments down spend a lot of time testing and tweaking before they get it right Best person to ask is tony sterling on these forums

ricp
Level 4

Sorry for the multiple posts.

I ran a test with RBA using my account and only permitting it to enable/disable mailboxes, but I can still carry out most other tasks in EV. How do permissions work? Is it most restrictive apply or most liberal? (I'm also part of domain/Exchange admin) Do permissions take effect straight away or does anything need to be restarted for permissions to take effect? 

FreKac2
Level 6

I've looked at the Automatically Enable Mailboxes, but it mentions that it would also enable current mailboxes, which we don't want as not all users are trained in EV use etc. Is there any way of doing it just for new users?

A common way of doing a gradual enablement is using an AD security group that is targeted in the EV provisioining group.

Whichever user that get added to the AD group will then be enabled during the next provisioning+archiving run.

This way you move the administration of enabling users to the AD rather than doing it in EV.

E.g.

In EV you have a provisioning group that targets an AD group called "EV_Enabled_Users".

Then whichever account is a member of that AD group will be automatically enabled during the next provisioning+archiving run.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you a member of more than one group?  In the Vault Admin console click on Show Roles to verify what permissions are being applied to your account.

1. In the Administration Console, right-click the Directory container and, on the shortcut menu, click Show Roles.

2. If you want to keep a copy of the list, click Copy to clipboard. You can then paste the text into a document or mail message as required.
  3. Click OK.

When you make changes to RBA you do need to close all the Vault Admin Consoles that are open for the new roles to take affect.