cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.0.1 add-on for Outlook 2010 not displaying attachments

MissGina
Level 3

We are in the middle of PST Migration and migrating our workstations to Windows 7 and Office/Outlook 2010.  We use EV 8.0.4 and Exchange 2007 SP2. 

For the old PCs with Office XP,  the EV add-on 8 for Outlook XP works fine.  

For the new PCs with Windows 7, we have Enabled the GPO option "Prevent users from adding new content to existing PST files" (equivalent to DisablePSTGrow) so that users whose PCs got upgraded to WIndows 7 but still haven't had their PSTs migrated can continue using their PSTs in Read-Only mode in Outlook 2010, but cannot add more things into it, as those PSTs will be imported into their archive vaults anyway.

The problem is for the new Windows 7 workstations.  We installed EV add-on 9.0.1 but it does not display the attachments,  unless the GPO option above is disabled.   We need this option enabled, as we are in the process of eliminating PSTs and we are preventing users to continue using PSTs.

I tried to use Rob W's solution of changing the registry settings DisablePSTGrowth and DisablePSTGrowthAllowAuthenticateOverrides,  but didnt seem to work.  Disabling the GPO option above did the trick, but we dont want it disabled!

Help please.  Thank you.

Gina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MissGina
Level 3

Opened a case with Microsoft Premier Support and they solved it!

They created an ADM template that sets the DisablePSTGrowthAllowAuthenticate Overrides via GPO.

SO in our environment, we have BOTH the DisablePSTGrowth and DisablePSTGrowthAllowAuthenticateOverrides enabled via GPO.   This means we can attach PSTs to Outlook2010, but users cannot add items into it, rendering it read-only. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/pstdisablegrow-and-enterprise-vault-outlook-addin-901

Are you absolutely sure the registry key is being put in the correct place (i.e. version number as well?)

Could you reproduce the behavior and then go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp and then find a file called ev_client_log_date.txt and post it here?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you grab the registry keys you've added, and post them?  Screen shot or text file is fine.  As JW2 says, a client log would also be very useful.

I would *imagine* that the Microsoft GPO puts the PSTDisableGrow in the documented location, and we need it, and the override in the "non-documented" location.

Working for cloudficient.com

MissGina
Level 3

Here are the zipped EV log and registry key info screenshot.

Thanks a lot

Gina

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay, can you :-

a) show a screenshot of one of the retrieve messages

b) extract to a text file the two registry keys

I suspect there is a typo, or an extra character on the Override key.

MissGina
Level 3

Here are the

a) screenshot of the retrieved message

b) extract to a text file the two registry keys

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm that looks fine to me.

Does this happen on all machines, or only the ones that receive PSTDisableGrow via the group policy?

What happens if you set up a machine that DOES NOT get touched by the Group Policy and you apply those two keys manually?

Can you get a regmon output of the problem machine, when doing the repro?   The only thing I can think of is that we're getting "denied" when we try to access the Override key... but that doesn't entirely make sense since we just accessed the PSTDisableGrow key from the same location

MissGina
Level 3

Opened a case with Microsoft Premier Support and they solved it!

They created an ADM template that sets the DisablePSTGrowthAllowAuthenticate Overrides via GPO.

SO in our environment, we have BOTH the DisablePSTGrowth and DisablePSTGrowthAllowAuthenticateOverrides enabled via GPO.   This means we can attach PSTs to Outlook2010, but users cannot add items into it, rendering it read-only. 

MissGina
Level 3

Just to say THANK YOU to Rob and JesusWept for your help!  Much appreciated.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Glad to have been able to offer some help, and glad that you got it sorted.

I'll amend / add to my blog post, with the results of your efforts.