cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.0.1 client and Windows 7 SP1

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

The latest compatability charts show this to be pending? Does anyone know when EV 9.0.1 will be compatable with Outlook 2010 in a Windows 7 SP1 OS?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Until certification has finished... we won't know 100% for sure.  Early indications are that there are no issuees...

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

while it does show as pending for Windows 7 SP1, I can tell you that it works on my test box. (keep in mind that Outlook 2010 is only supported with the HTTP addon, not the full DCOM.) SP1 is still relatively new and the testing is underway but takes time. what the chart shows is that it's not "officially supportted" yet so if you run into strange issues, Symantec might not be able to help although they always do their best.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

I know all that :) but has Symantec posted a date for when they plan to officially support it.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Support is given usually 60-90 days after release.. but it all depends on whether any issues are encountered, how big they are, what if any release vehicles are determined for those fixes, etc, etc.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Is ev 9.0.2 client compatibile with windws 7 sp1? I saw that its been released.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Until certification has finished... we won't know 100% for sure.  Early indications are that there are no issuees...

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

For everyone's info, I erceived an email from Symantec Tech support that not only is no version of EV client supported under Windows 7 with SP1, but that there is currently no release date for a supported version.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Leonardo, that's sort of what I said above :)

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

I understand, but I had to contact tech support because one of my users was having a problem and it was due to the OS being Win7 SP1.

thank you all for your comments.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Leonardo, was the problem related to EV then?  What was the problem?

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Yes, EV 9.x client will not run on any of my Windows 7 with SP1 PCs. I had to remove SP1 and perform an MS Office repair for the EV client to function. I guess I'll  have to wait for a EV 9.0.3 release before putting out any Win7SP1 PCs?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay so I just installed Windows 7 x64 SP 1 on top of one of my Windows 7 clients...  Everything seems to be working from an Enterprise Vault perspective.

What did you see that wasn't working?  Have you got any client logs?

SASA1
Level 3

Hi, has there been any official update to getting a working solution? Its been about a month since the last comment.

All of our new desktops are being rolled out with Windows 7 SP1 as Corporate Policy, and we can not get the Enterprise Vault Client to run.

The install seems to run, but the application does not show under "Programs and Features" in Win7, nor does outlook have any of the EV Addins. There are no registry keys, and nothing under \Program Files.

If there is an updated version to the EV Client please could you be so kind as to help me with the URL to download. I have my Symantec Connect login credentials, but could not find the EV Client software for download. I'm using 9.0.1.1073.

Id really appreciate some help regarding.

Thanks

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I will check with the certification team - to be honest, I've not had time to try it out ... yet.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I checked with the certification team, and they haven't seen any problems, and they've tested a variety of installation and configuration options.

The plan is to support this from mid-June.. depending on whether any issues are found between now and then.

I'd suggest your issue is a variation of something that I've seen before whereby the installation APPEARS to complete successfully, but it actually hasn't.

First port of call ...  an uninstall, reboot, and an install following the steps in this link to enable MSI logging :

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-outlook-client-installer-logging

SASA1
Level 3

Thanks I've enabled logging and there was a few weird errors about "pixel Boundaries" which i think is non-important.

I couldnt see anything unusual, but I've attached the logfile. I'm losing my mind over this one. I even uninstalled Win7SP1 of this desktop and it still wont install. I'm now completely reinstalling my test PC's with Windows 7 SP0.

Is there perhaps a later version for download? i'm looking for a url. I have my logon details for the symantec site but couldnt find the client download.

thanks for your time.

Carl

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So for a while I thought you were installing the EV 9 addin, which isn't compatible with Outlook 2010 :

\\sasa19\Outlook Add-In 9.0\Symantec Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-in-en.msi

As in your install folder says 9.0... but later I see :

Property(S): ARPCOMMENTS = Symantec Enterprise Vault HTTP-only Outlook Add-In (en) Build 9.0.1.1073

So that's okay.

And I can see it's Outlook 2010 from this :

Property(C): OUTLOOK_2003_OR_LATER = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\outlook.exe
Property(C): OUTLOOK_2007_OR_LATER = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\outlook.exe
Property(C): OUTLOOK_2010_BITNESS_X86 = x86
Property(C): OUTLOOK_2010_BITNESS_X64 = x86

For 100% completeness, can you tell me from the log you just created :-

a/ Is it Windows 7, or Windows 7 SP 1?

b/ Is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

c/ Is it Outlook 2010 ?

d/  Is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

e/  Did anything get created in c:\program files\enterprise vault

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you confirm also whether this is an upgrade of the Outlook Addin, or a clean install?  I mean, is there anything in add/remove programs (Program Features in Windows 7) for the Addin prior to the instatallation?

SASA1
Level 3

Hi again and thanks for taking the time to look at the logfile. feedback is as follows:

For 100% completeness, can you tell me from the log you just created :-

a/ Is it Windows 7, or Windows 7 SP 1?

• This PC had Windows7 SP1, and I couldnt get it to install. I uninstalled SP1 to try make it work. Still no luck, I suspect "the damage has already been done"
  • At the time of this logfile, this PC had SP1 removed, and I had also run the Office2010 repair after removing SP1, and then ran the EV Client install.
  • To better assist, I am currently reinstalling a test PC from scratch, and will only be loading Win 7 SP1, hardware drivers, MS Office, and joining to our domain. (there are no GPO's preventing installs, and I am a Domain Admin) If you would prefer, I will upload that logfile instead.

b/ Is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

• Windows 7 32-bit

c/ Is it Outlook 2010 ?

• MS Office Professional Plus 2010 32-bit

d/  Is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

• 32-Bit

e/  Did anything get created in c:\program files\enterprise vault

• nothing was created. There is not even a \enterprise vault folder
  • there are no registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Has this first system ever had an EV Outlook Add in installed?  If so, what happened to it?  Was it uninstalled?

The second systems sounds like a very good test, and it would be good to know whether that works or not. [Not necessarily post the log file, but you might want to capture it, just in case :)]