cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.0.5 to EV 10.0.4 migration

Rafal_Woz
Level 3

I think this is supported way and I would like to setup Windows 2008 R2 64bit and install Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 on it and use Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration utility vs. installing 2008R2 with 9.0.5 doing migration and upgrating in plce.
When I run this to collect information I noticed this is actually stopping and disabling EV services on existing 9.0.5 server, can someone share experiance how does exactly this tool work, how does data gets migrated to new EV server? is this cut over process or can I migrate individual users archives? we have archive files located in two different stores one is local NTFS partition in existing 9.0.5 EV server and other is UNC path and archive files are located on different server, how do data gets move? finally we were previously using EV for Lotus Notes and migrated to Exchange at some point in time and at that time we used notes to exchange convertion tool so archived email can be open from Outlook, our existing EV 9.0.5 server has Lotus Notes client installed on it to this day I believe when we tried to uninstall it in past we could not open old email that was archived in Lotus Notes, it alsmost sounds like eventhough we no longer use Lotus Notes and conversion tool was sucesfully used after we migrated from Notes to Exchange, EV still uses some Notes files to read from archive, do I have to install Lotus Notes client on new EV 10.0.4 server as well?

and one more questio as I'm migrating our existing Enterprise Vault 9.0.5 (windows 2003 32bit) to Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 (Windows 2008 R2 64bit) majority of our clients are Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 but all our new users are getting Windows 8.1 with Office 2013 laptops, is Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 and EV outlook addin working on Windows 8.1 and outlook 2013?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can go from 9.0.5 to 10 directly using the server settings migration wizard, yes.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

To answer your last question first.

Yes, it is working and compatible.

Your other questions...  the server settings migration wizard moves the whole lot in one go.  You'll struggle a little bit because of the fact that you have some storage local.  You'll need to follow the guides which talk you through moving that, but if it's huge amounts, it's going to take time.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

to summarize:

the "migration" wizard is just for settings. you still have to swing over all the storage for your indexes and vault store partitions to the new servers.

do you still have domino out there? if not, then you dont need the domino gateway because there's nothing for it to talk to and dont need the notes client.

lastly, it is compatible and here's the chart for your reference: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537

Rafal_Woz
Level 3

Yes, we have about 2 TB of data in archive so how does this process works? can we do user by user migration and both systems can coexist or is this cut over process where after runing Server Migration tool our existing 9.0.5 is not accesible any more?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can only co-exist with 3rd party tools (eg Archive Shuttle, and others)

Rafal_Woz
Level 3

no we don't but either we have something bedly messed up or your statment about no need for domino client does not sounds right because in past we tried to uninstall Lotus Notes cleint and I could not open emails that were archived before we moved to Exchange/Outlook

By "swing" what exactly do you mean is it straight copy and change reference to new location or is this migration process done by Syamntec tool?

I start looking at "Migrating Enterprose Vault to 64-bit hardware" for 9.0 but should I even bother since I'm trying to do 9.0.5 to 10.0.4 and change hardware at the same time? or shoudl I just follow "Upgrading to 10.0.4" that can be found here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC6263

we have about 2TB of archive files but only about 120-150 users with archive and I'm start thinking that because we have this issue where notes client needs to be install on EV server, I'm thinking if posible to NOT to do migration but instad setup new EV 10.0.4 server and every new user would start using that and old users we could do user by user email restore from archive back to outlook than at this time when user has no archive we would disable user archive on 9.0.5 and move user to new 10.0.4 and re-archive there, does this make seans? it has been 6 years since EV was installed and I cannot remember how does outlook client knows which EV server to use, is this doable to have 2 instances where one does not know about other and just point outlook client to use new server once all emails are restored back to outlook?

Rafal_Woz
Level 3

so basicaly you are telling me which migration of staorage and indexes is in progress users cannot read old email previously archived? is this correct?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Pretty sure the guide clarifies that, but yes, EV services have to be stopped I think for the 'swing'?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The upgrading guide is just that. Upgrading.

You're doing more than that.

The first guide you mentioned is the right one to follow/analyse.

Rafal_Woz
Level 3

does MIgration EV to 64-bit hardware guide applies regardless if I do 9.0.5 to 9.05 (new hardware) or 9.0.5 to 10.0.4 (new hardware) ? I don't want to take 9.0.5 to 9.0.5 step if this is not needed

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can go from 9.0.5 to 10 directly using the server settings migration wizard, yes.