Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.0 Backups

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I've looked at various docs but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I've got an EV 9.0 environment which I've been asked to backup using the NetBackup agent. The SQL database is backed up using native SQL maintenance plans.

Can I backup the rest of the EV app using the NBU agent and leave the SQl backups in place or have I got to use the agent to backup the full EV environment?

Sorry my question is a bit rudimentary but this is my first introduction to EV.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not really a conflict but something you need to consider.

Tony said: You want to be sure to co-ordinate the timing so the DB's get backed up at the same time as the rest of EV

Which in essence is the same as my line: you need to make sure that the DB's get backed up when EV is in backupmode.

The thing you need to be aware of though is that some of the directives will include the databases as well even though you don't have to specify them in the directive.

The whole point really with the EV agent is that it keeps the DB's, partition backups etc. together so you don't have to use scripts. Which comes back to the requirement that All DBs (Directory, Fingerprint, Vaultstore), Indexes and partitions need to be consistant with eachother.

So if you need to do a disaster recovery you can be sure that each component are consitant with the other parts.

If you don't use the EV agent to do the DB backups I don't really see the point in using the EV Agent. Since you still have to control, to some extent, the backups through scripts. Otherwise you can't be sure that e.g. the DB's are backed up during the same "window" as EV is in backupmode.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You should be fine just selecting the options you want the agent to backup.  You want to be sure to co-ordinate the timing so the DB's get backed up at the same time as the rest of EV. I believe they are called directives in the NBU policy.

FreKac2
Level 6

Is there a reason not to use the agent to backup the EV DB's ?

Reason for asking is because you need to make sure that the DB's get backed up when EV is in backupmode, at least you should make sure that the backup job in sql is triggered by the EV backup. For example in the prescript (bpstart) you trigger the job in SQL.

Also you need to read up on the different directives since some of them will include the databases by default, e.g. the "Open Partition" directive includes the vaultstore database.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for the replies both. Just for my clarity, is there conflicting advice here?

1) "You should be fine...."

2) "You need to make sure that the DB's get backed up when EV is in backupmode"

I'm looking to get the backups in quickly and there is no agent on the SQL box at the moment. The issue with installing the NBU agent is the resulting downtime for SQL service (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139151) which I want to avoid for the moment.

Appreciate the responses.

FreKac2
Level 6

Not really a conflict but something you need to consider.

Tony said: You want to be sure to co-ordinate the timing so the DB's get backed up at the same time as the rest of EV

Which in essence is the same as my line: you need to make sure that the DB's get backed up when EV is in backupmode.

The thing you need to be aware of though is that some of the directives will include the databases as well even though you don't have to specify them in the directive.

The whole point really with the EV agent is that it keeps the DB's, partition backups etc. together so you don't have to use scripts. Which comes back to the requirement that All DBs (Directory, Fingerprint, Vaultstore), Indexes and partitions need to be consistant with eachother.

So if you need to do a disaster recovery you can be sure that each component are consitant with the other parts.

If you don't use the EV agent to do the DB backups I don't really see the point in using the EV Agent. Since you still have to control, to some extent, the backups through scripts. Otherwise you can't be sure that e.g. the DB's are backed up during the same "window" as EV is in backupmode.

TonySterling

FreKac and I were basically saying the same thing, he just explained in more detail that the directives do contain the databases as well.

And considering it further, whilst you would be okay setting it manually, I would agree with FreKac that if you have the Agent why not use it?  If you aren't going to use it for everything then set everything up manually and return the license.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Thanks both.

1) is there a PDF doc for the NetBackup 7.01 EV agent?

2) In the 7.0 version there is the extract below

The Enterprise Vault agent is a part of the NetBackup client software. The NetBackup client software must be installed on every system that either hosts Enterprise Vault SQL data or is an Enterprise Vault server. (If the Enterprise Vault server is also a NetBackup server, the client software is installed along with the NetBackup server software.

This seems to suggest I do need to use the agent on the SQL server also

FreKac2
Level 6

1) yes it's part of the install media, you may need to check NBU7 install media as 7.01 is just an update

You could also look here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127059

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150237

2) Yes, you'll need the NBU client/agent on the SQL-server that hosts the EV databases.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

I'm getting more confused!!!

So I need a NBU agent on the SQL server even though I'm backing the SQL databases up using SQL maintenance plans?

If that's correct then I need downtime for the SQL server to install 7.01.

Thanks

TonySterling

I believe FreKac thought NBU was backing up SQL already.

It would probably be best if you don't want NBU to handle the SQL backups you should just forgo the EV Agent all together.

Do one or the other, don't try to mix it.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Thanks.

I've found the attached doc, as suggested I'm going to go with the file level backups until I can get the NBU agent installed on SQL. Anything else I need to consider which isn't in the doc?

Thanks for sticking with this.

TonySterling

That doc should be pretty complete.  Do be sure to give the process some time to finish up before starting the backup process.  15 minutes should be plenty.

FreKac2
Level 6

You quoted a text in regard to the EV Agent and SQL, asking if you needed the agent/client on the SQL server.

So my answer was in regard to if you want to use the EV Agent to backup the EV SQL databases as well, then yes you'll need the client/agent on the SQL server.

If you're not going to backup the EV databases through the EV Agent, then no you don't need the nbu client/agent on the SQL server.

See it like this, if you want to use any type of backups on a server through NBU, you'll need the agent/client installed on that server. It doesn't matter what is on it or what it's used for, so if you want to do e.g. file backups on a server you'll need the agent on that server (at least to get the full feature set).

Hope that makes more sense.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Sorry, noddy question - how do I place a pause in the bpstart after I've placed EV into backup mode?

Thanks

TonySterling

What I mean is what 15 minutes after the end of the archive run before starting the backup job.  So if schedule archiving ends at 1:00 am start the backup job at 1:15 am.

If you did want to add a pause in bpstart use the sleep command. 

FreKac2
Level 6

As Tony says, wait 15-30min after the archiving schedule and then start the backup.

If you need do a pause in the script you could do:

ping -n 15 127.0.0.1 >null

Which translates to ping localhost 15 times, output to null so you won't see anything :)

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Sorry I'm late back to this.

Thanks very much for your help.

You both provided the solution - so what should I do?????

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Somone has done it for me