cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9 to EV 10 migration plan

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

Can someone please review my plan below to migrate the existing old EV 9 server into new EV 10 server ?

This is the high level plan whch I have on top of my mind at the moment.

My plan is to do the following migration steps to cutover the existing Exchange 2007 mailbox server archiving from EV 9.0 into EV 10:

1. Enable Collections in all EV VaultStore for all Partitions opens and close
  2. Fully backup all EV 9 VaultStore partition using Symantec NetBackup v7.6.
  3. Write / backup the EV closed partition 1 to 20 to LTO-5 Tape with forever retention to be restored later on EV 10 when user tried to retrieve it.
  4. Set data past 1 years to be purged to reduce the disk space.
  5. Run EV migration wizard so that the remaining 2 years data is transferred successfully to EV 10 into CIFS share in one go.
  6. Once the VaultStore data migration is completed, the old EV 9 and SQL 2005 DB server can be fully decommissioned.
  7. All Exchange Server 2007 SP3 mailbox & Journal archive now handled by EV 10.

The Index partition will be commisioned the same size as the old EV 9 server that is 2 TB.

is there any steps that I missed from the above ?

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi John,

Migration wizard will NOT move the data for you. That is something you need to do yourself.

What you need to keep in mind is that the EV DATA is not touched by the upgrade. It is only the databases that are updated. I am not sure I understand that plan with backing up, and 'purging' data. I assume you mean Storage Expiry. If I look at 4, you purge all archived?? data older than a year, but then in 5 you say transfer 2 years of data??

I cannot really advise on this one I am afraid. what I have done, is move the EV databases to SQL2008R2 server, then upgraded EV on the existing hardware (from 9.04 to 10.04CHF2). Leave data alone.

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi Gertjan,

Thank you for the suggestion, so in this case yes, you are right, I got confused myself on step #4 which should be Set data past 2 years to be purged to reduce the disk space. Not 1 year for the Storage Expiry.

So based on the assumption that the EV migration wizard not moving the data for me, from EV 9 after the migration wizard has finished converting the old Index into 64 bit and also updating the database into the new SQL 2012 R2 database, I can then detach the physical RDM disk (or LUN) and then presented to the new EV 10 disk with the same drive letter ?