cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Archiving policy question

MikeK-GT
Level 4

Hello gurus,

Interesting question came up that we may need to test. We would like to setup a new archiving policy that will archive all emails 0 days, does not delete original item, does not create shortcut. Basically just a copy of mailbox. And remove original items after 90 days from the mailbox. Any ideas? thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I agree with above answer, but if you really want to do this, it will need to be a combination of EV and Exchange. 

You can set the Mailbox Archiving policy to archive everything older than 0 days. You can set it to not delete the original, and not create a shortcut. You can however then not use EV to remove items older than 90 days.

To remove items older than 90 days, you will have to use an Exchange policy. I believe that would be a retention policy, but I am not sure.

I would define the policy to create a shortcut, but use the messagebody as shortcut content. Any attachment will be a link to the archived item. Then you can use 'delete shortcuts older than' from EV.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Prone2Typos

I am 97% sure I have seen something like this before. The use case can be a little thin for me personally but people implement mis-uses all the time. If the mailboxes can handle the 90 day weight and you have it set up to be able to keep up with the archiving needed, I see no issues. Virtual Vault may be an interesting test if you are using it. I think way back it used to work off the shortcuts in the mailbox but I think that changed and it was much more server driven in the future. You may have to ensure those using this features can accommodate the growth.

One other thing. Small messages in the mailbox you archive, may actually end up larger than their original item due to metadata addition. So in some cases you could consume more mailbox space than anticipated. I would bet space is not a concern given the model.... but you never know. Some like cake and ice cream.

GertjanA

Hello,

I agree with above answer, but if you really want to do this, it will need to be a combination of EV and Exchange. 

You can set the Mailbox Archiving policy to archive everything older than 0 days. You can set it to not delete the original, and not create a shortcut. You can however then not use EV to remove items older than 90 days.

To remove items older than 90 days, you will have to use an Exchange policy. I believe that would be a retention policy, but I am not sure.

I would define the policy to create a shortcut, but use the messagebody as shortcut content. Any attachment will be a link to the archived item. Then you can use 'delete shortcuts older than' from EV.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you. That's what I figured, combination of EV and Exchange policies.