cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Backup Mode permissions

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I'm running EV 8 for Exchange. I need to add a role definition in Authorization Manager, for the account that our backup software runs under. Per Symantec Tech Note 319433, I need to create a new role definition, and add EVTManage Index Location Backup Mode, and EVT Manage Vault Store Backup Mode tasks from the drop-down menu. I do not see either entry in the menu. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I'm logged in as the VSA.
EV 8, SP1, 64 bit windows 2003 server.

Thank you.
Ed
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Darn, so you will need to do the workaround note "Note: If one isn't available, copy EvAzStore_Ship.xml to EvAzStore_Inst.xml in the same directory, but only do this if not currently using Roles-Based Authentication."

If you are using RBA you will need to recreate or re-assign any current roles after you do the work around as they will be lost.  Just note what users are assigned to what roles and you should be ok.

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
in auth manager under role definitions you'll find it by creating a new role definition, click add, then on the tasks tab scroll about 2/3 the way down and EVT Manage Index Location Backup Mode is there right below EVT Manage Generic Reports and just a dozen or so down the list is the EVT Manage Vault Store Backup Mode

TonySterling

I wrote a couple of articles about this that might help.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/issues-backup-user-account

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/roles-based-administration-enterprise-vault-8

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
That's the problem. I don't have those choices in the drop-down you mention. For that matter, I also don't see EVT Manage Generic Reports either.
Ed

TonySterling

Do you see this event?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 8591
Description:
Error launching EvAzUtil utility in order to upgrade the roles-based administration database. Error code: '7'

Workaround:

1. Copy a known good \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\InitialConfigurationData\EN\RBA\EvAzStore_Inst.xml from a working Enterprise Vault server running the same version of Enterprise Vault in the same Site.

Note: If one isn't available, copy EvAzStore_Ship.xml to EvAzStore_Inst.xml in the same directory, but only do this if not currently using Roles-Based Authentication.

2. Restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service.

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I do have that event. I have 2 EV servers, and have the same problem, and 8591 event on both. So, it looks like I do not have a good copy of that xml file.  I'll have to find out if we use Roles Based Authentication.  What happens if we are using it?

Ed

TonySterling

Darn, so you will need to do the workaround note "Note: If one isn't available, copy EvAzStore_Ship.xml to EvAzStore_Inst.xml in the same directory, but only do this if not currently using Roles-Based Authentication."

If you are using RBA you will need to recreate or re-assign any current roles after you do the work around as they will be lost.  Just note what users are assigned to what roles and you should be ok.

Regards,