cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Backup/Restore - General Advice

AnthonyBell
Level 3
(Sorry for posting this elsewhere... I realized I buried it too deep in an old thread, where no one might read it. I'll try again here with a fresh thread.  :)

I'm just looking for some general tips or comments to my assumptions below:

Correct me where I'm wrong:

- "granular"-type restores (i.e. recovering specific components from tape) can be performed down the user Archive level. Anything smaller than that (e.g. individual mail items), and we'd have to rely on the built-in features of EV to do the recovery (policy settings, retention settings, etc.)

- Indexes can be restored (assuming corruption) with the latest available Index backup. Once restored, you have to "re-build" it (somehow) to reflect the current state of affairs. I assume it uses the current EV environment, vault stores, SQL DBs, in order to synchronize the Index again. So, must you also restore vault store and/or SQL DB's when restoring the Index?

- If an entire Vault Store needs to be restored from tape (assuming corruption), MUST you also restore the single SQL DB that corresponds to that vault store? (or must you restore ALL vault store DB's?).  Must you also restore the Index from the same backup set, in the case of Vault Store failure?

- If a SQL DB needs to be restored from tape (assuming corruption), then must you also restore the Index and/or vault store from the same set?

and finally...

In my particular environment, the customer is enforcing a "user cannot delete from vault" policy. To me, this seems to be advantages on SEVERAL fronts... but in particular, when it comes to backup/restores. Because users can't delete, once a partition is marked as closed we should be able to take 1 (and only 1) backup of it and store it away. Also, because users can't delete (and retention policy is set to "forever") there should be NO scenario where an end-user needing to restore ANYTHING off tape. The only time we would be restoring data from tape is in the case of disaster recover that affects multiple users (hence my previous questions).

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
- "granular"-type restores: It's even worse... it's on Vault Store Level, as you would have to restore the whole database, too.
If you have to restore single item, you could if you know the saveset ID, then restore it, and let EVSVR do it's job. (This tool is able to rebuild SQL entries from the Saveset itself)
But your best bet certainly is EV's builtin features (Retention Settings / EV Dumpster)

- Yes, indxes can be restored and replayed. No, you do not need to restore anything else when just your index is corrupt.

- Yes, you must restore the SQL DB together with the Vault Store. Only alternative is restore Vault Store and run EVSVR to sanitize the Database (takes some time...)
 Index restore not necessary if you still have it

- No, it is usually not recommended to backup closed VS "one" time.  There can still be changes. e.g. if you have Collections enabled.
There is a Backup Whitepaper in the Articles section, if you want to know more...

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
- "granular"-type restores: It's even worse... it's on Vault Store Level, as you would have to restore the whole database, too.
If you have to restore single item, you could if you know the saveset ID, then restore it, and let EVSVR do it's job. (This tool is able to rebuild SQL entries from the Saveset itself)
But your best bet certainly is EV's builtin features (Retention Settings / EV Dumpster)

- Yes, indxes can be restored and replayed. No, you do not need to restore anything else when just your index is corrupt.

- Yes, you must restore the SQL DB together with the Vault Store. Only alternative is restore Vault Store and run EVSVR to sanitize the Database (takes some time...)
 Index restore not necessary if you still have it

- No, it is usually not recommended to backup closed VS "one" time.  There can still be changes. e.g. if you have Collections enabled.
There is a Backup Whitepaper in the Articles section, if you want to know more...

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

AnthonyBell
Level 3
Thanks MichelZ