cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Capability Questions.... Help requested.

Steve_Bally
Level 4
Hello All,

We are currently running EV 2007 in production and in the lab we upgraded to 8.0, some of the questions from our management is can we do the foillowing with EV 8.0

1. All email is automatically archived if >30 days and user is over quota. - This is a YES 
2. Email that is automatically archived is classified as “General Correspondence” and is retained for 1 year, after which it is deleted. - This is a YES
3. End users can manually classify email if manually archiving items - This is a YES

4. End users can manually reclassify email that was automatically archived - I need some help with this one, can users change to a new retention level?

5. We can provision users based on AD group if necessary (perhaps all VPs should have 4 year retention by default instead of 1 year, etc.) - I am pretty sure that this is a Yes, but would just like to clarify this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

STeve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Here are your answers for 4 and 5.

4. End users can manually reclassify email that was automatically archived - I need some help with this one, can users change to a new retention level? - This is yes.  In EV 8 if your users drag an already archived item to a folder with a different retention category EV can update the retention category and location for Archive Explorer and Search.  

5. We can provision users based on AD group if necessary (perhaps all VPs should have 4 year retention by default instead of 1 year, etc.) - I am pretty sure that this is a Yes, but would just like to clarify this. - Yes you can use an AD group as provisioning group target.  This document is for EV 7 but still applies:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/enterprise-vault-granular-provisioning-best-practice

regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Here are your answers for 4 and 5.

4. End users can manually reclassify email that was automatically archived - I need some help with this one, can users change to a new retention level? - This is yes.  In EV 8 if your users drag an already archived item to a folder with a different retention category EV can update the retention category and location for Archive Explorer and Search.  

5. We can provision users based on AD group if necessary (perhaps all VPs should have 4 year retention by default instead of 1 year, etc.) - I am pretty sure that this is a Yes, but would just like to clarify this. - Yes you can use an AD group as provisioning group target.  This document is for EV 7 but still applies:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/enterprise-vault-granular-provisioning-best-practice

regards,

Steve_Bally
Level 4
Tony,

Thanks for your reply, this is much appreciated.  I do have a question, you stated that we can designate a "folder" with a different retention period, is there documentation of how this works and how set this up?

We have just installed the 8.0 in our lab, and I do not see where a user can drag an archived item to a folder with a different retention period.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Steve

TonySterling
Folders can be set with different retention periods via EVPM, probably the most common way. 

They can also be set to use different retentions if you allow users to use the dcom client and then view and change the properties of the folders.

You can also use Exchange Managed Folders and synch their retentions with EV.

the Utilities guide has a section on EVPM called Policy Manager, here is an example from there.

[Directory]
directorycomputername = myserver
sitename = MattSite

[Filter]
name = filter1
CreateShortcut = true
DeleteOriginal = true
unreadMAIL = false
UseInactivityPeriod = true
InactivityUnits = months
InactivityPeriod = 1

[Mailbox]