Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Collect and migrate to Azure

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

Is there an option to use MS Azure as a tertiary storage location for EV collections?

many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Symantec will support EV hosted in Azure as long as it ticks all the boxes in the Compatibility Chart*

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO101911.html

*the big caveat would be - Symantec will not accept support calls based on performance unless the issue can be reproduced removing the cloud platform

View solution in original post

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

We actually had a call with Symantec on this topic and it is supported. There are some caveats but it was the same when VMware was new technology too. Eventually I expect it to be like second nature.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Its not supported currently .

Check the Secondary storage software section in the compatibility guide

https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/38000/TECH38537/en_US/compatibility_charts.pdf?__gda__=1429897442_9dd63fd8ed647f2b1e58010be2f4f351

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Many thanks Rahul

Is it ok to have the EV application hosted on premise and the vault store partitions as a network share from a server hosted in the Azure cloud?

thanks

AndrewB

could you put the whole thing in azure? why are you trying to dice it up?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would run in too many issue w.r.t to connectivity and performance. I have never tried or seen such configuration. Instead install EV on the Azure cloud.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi Andrew -

we could but the whole thing into Azure. There is a corporate directive to use Azure for archive data (and pretty much everything else) to reduce the on prem storage footprint. Ideally we would want the application on-prem and just the data in the cloud but if the best way to achieve this is to move the entire application into Azure then that would probably be ok.

I was uncertain if Symanetc would consider this a supportable solution in their eyes.

thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The configuration might work , but Symantec would have not certified it and performed any testing with such configuration .

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Symantec will support EV hosted in Azure as long as it ticks all the boxes in the Compatibility Chart*

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO101911.html

*the big caveat would be - Symantec will not accept support calls based on performance unless the issue can be reproduced removing the cloud platform

AndrewB

We actually had a call with Symantec on this topic and it is supported. There are some caveats but it was the same when VMware was new technology too. Eventually I expect it to be like second nature.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Many thanks for the info

Can I just confirm that this will be a solution whereby EV Server is moved into Azure (along with the EV SQL server and a storage location for configured for the archives, but the user data (this is for file archiving rather than email archiving) remains on premise and so when it hits the archiving criteria it is archived from on-premise into Azure?

I just want to be certain that the production data doesn't need to be in the cloud too......

kind regards