Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Collections - Speed up our Backups

philt
Level 5
Hi All,

EV Version 7 SP1.

Was wondering what are the good values for EV Collections config as we need to speed up our Backups;

Curently the Journal partition for Collections is set to Limit to 50 MB, Files older than 30 Days.

We are not doing Collections for the Mailbox partition as we are still in Pilot mode and only have a small number of EV enabled Mailboxes.

Any other helpful hints on speeding up backups would be helpful.

We are looking at other issues involved e.g. slow SATA drives

Thanks in advanced.
Cheers,
Phil 

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
I would reduce the size of the collections to 20MB and reduce the age of collections to 21 days.  Apart from that, make sure your backup does not conflict with Mailbox archiving Windows.

philt
Level 5
Thanks Rob,

I was thinking of increasing the size limit so the backup backs up bigger chunks. Was wondering why you suggest decreasing the size.

Cheers,
Phil

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
To prevent corruption of CAB files.  The bigger the CAB the more likely it is to corrupt.

On most Backup software you are not going to reduce the overhead (the reason Backups slow down when you have a large number of small files), by increasing the file size that much.

I used to support backup Exec and NetBackup, so I am using my experience with those two applictations and 2 years of experience with EV.

philt
Level 5
Thanks again Rob, appreciate your experience.

I understand what your are saying but am a little concerned at the "To prevent corruption of CAB files" statement. From your experience is this a regular event?, what may cause this?, Are these easily fixed?

Cheers,
Phil

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Hi Phil,
    Here's some general hints about collections.  In the old days (pre 6.0), collections used to corrupt if you had large collections.  That should no longer be an issue as cabs are now compressed twice and checked for consistancy.  10-20mb cabs are best practice due to performance issues.  If you do a restore (temp or not) on a cabbed item, you have to decompress the whole cab to get at the individual item, then recab it up when the op is done.  Doesn't seem like a big deal, but in the larger install bases it adds up. 

micah