Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV DA install on SQL Server.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I'm trying to find if there are any calculators\guidelines for CPU usage of EV datbases hosted on a dedicated SQL server.

Here's my situation - all servers are virtualised with VMWare 5.5

A new EV solution for 1000 users with email archiving only (4 node Exch 2010 DAG). Also full journaling for all users (2 x Journal mailboxes). The solution will be a single EV Mailbox archiving server and a single EV journal archiving server (<100k messages a day) with a single dedicated SQL 2012 server (all vm's). 

Both EV servers will be 8 core 16GB servers, but for SQL licencing reasons the SQL will be 4 core (probably still 16GB). I think this will be fine for the size of environment.

However, there will be a small e-Discovery requirement (<10 searches a year) and we don't want to create a dedicated EV DA vm for this, but want to install it on one of the existing EV virtual machines. I believe the preferred place to install EV DA (for small environments) is on the SQL server and so I'm try to find out if the 4 core SQL server may get low on CPU resources (as only 4 cores) or if there should be sufficient CPU resources to hosts the EV DA application. If it might be a margin call on the SQL resources then I guess the next best place to install would be on one of the EV servers.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I advise to NOT install DA on the SQL server. Instead, I would install it on your mail-archiving server.

I assume you archive mailboxes during the evening/night. This would allow for a DA-search to be run during the day. The search will place some load on the SQL server, but (depending on your search ofcourse!) this should not pose an issue.

If you install DA on SQL, you also need to install the EV-binaries OR the EV API to have it connect to EV itself. Having DA and EV on a server makes sure you have the proper requirements.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I advise to NOT install DA on the SQL server. Instead, I would install it on your mail-archiving server.

I assume you archive mailboxes during the evening/night. This would allow for a DA-search to be run during the day. The search will place some load on the SQL server, but (depending on your search ofcourse!) this should not pose an issue.

If you install DA on SQL, you also need to install the EV-binaries OR the EV API to have it connect to EV itself. Having DA and EV on a server makes sure you have the proper requirements.

Regards. Gertjan

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

many thanks Gertjan - sounds like a better way.

cheers