Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV-Domino: How to finde Notes stub from mail file

STHN
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi folks,

one of our customers has an issue with importing NSF-files properly.

I found that this article applies:

NSF Migrator fails migrate some or many items.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172116

It sais "2) Delete the corresponding Notes stub from the mail file."

I don't know how to identify the corresponding notes stubs. Does anyone know how to find them?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Sebaha

Good spot on the $$ArchiveDocLink property, you are correct that it is added to truncated / stubbed items by archiving, but I do not think you will be able to use that property in view selection criteria or view columns as it is not a summary field. That is why I recommended that you use the @IsDocTruncated formula function instead

You do not need any Lotusscript skills to use this function in a view creation, just basic understanding of Domino and how to create views. Hence why I recommend that, if you are not comfortable / knowledgable in this area yourself, you really should be engaging with the customer's in-house Domino experts as I would be highly surprised if a Domino shop had no-one in-house that knew how to create a simple view

These are the basic steps, but be wary that with a little knowledge comes great power, so don't do anything rash with this knowledge ;0), and instead work in collaboration with your customer's Domino experts to achieve your goals

- In a mail file, select Create \ View

- In the Create View dialog

1. Give the view a name, e.g. StubbedDocs

2. View type = Shared

3. Selection conditions = By Formula

4. Change the formula statement 'SELECT @All' to SELECT '@IsDocTruncated'

5. Click Ok

-The view should be created and available under views in the mail file navigator and will contain only truncated documents (truncated either by archiving criteria or, possibly if in a local replica, by replication settings)

- The view can be further customized by selecting Actions \ View Options \ Design

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Sebaha,

The dtrace should provide you a notes id. From the Domino administrator you should be able to right click the target nsf file and select 'Find Note'.

Then select 'by Note ID' and select the find button. It should give you some more detail on which note id you are looking for in the mail file.

STHN
Level 5
Partner Accredited

He Jim,

thanks for your proposal.

Unfortunately, this is inefficent for about 2500 items. Isn't there a way to filter or sort by the message class like in outlook?

Thanks in advance!

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Sebaha

You / your customer might want to try and create a new view in the user's mail file, using @IsDocTruncated in the view selection critieria.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/domhelp/v8r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.designer.domino.mai...

In my very simple tests, such a view returns to me only documents that I have 'stubbed' using native Domino archiving and the 'Reduce the size of documents in this application / Remove attachments, leave summary' option.

Such a view should at least return only the truncated or stubbed documents in a user's mail file if you were then planning to perform some selective or mass deletion of such items.

DISCLAIMER: you are asking for advice here on how to manipulate Domino data that has been altered previously by Domino in-built processes / functionality and has no direct relation to Enterprise Vault, so the above suggestion is merely a starter for ten that may help you and your customer's Domino experts to investigate a process to achieve your goals, or perhaps initiate collaboration with IBM to achieve them.

Regards

Paul

STHN
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Paul,

thanks a bundle! That looks promising.

We found out that Notes stubs do have a $$ArchiveDocLink property. I would like to build a view that finds me any item where such a property exists. Unfortuantely I have no skills in Lotus Script. Maybe you would be so kind to help me out here? Or some one else?

Thanks in advance!

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Sebaha

Good spot on the $$ArchiveDocLink property, you are correct that it is added to truncated / stubbed items by archiving, but I do not think you will be able to use that property in view selection criteria or view columns as it is not a summary field. That is why I recommended that you use the @IsDocTruncated formula function instead

You do not need any Lotusscript skills to use this function in a view creation, just basic understanding of Domino and how to create views. Hence why I recommend that, if you are not comfortable / knowledgable in this area yourself, you really should be engaging with the customer's in-house Domino experts as I would be highly surprised if a Domino shop had no-one in-house that knew how to create a simple view

These are the basic steps, but be wary that with a little knowledge comes great power, so don't do anything rash with this knowledge ;0), and instead work in collaboration with your customer's Domino experts to achieve your goals

- In a mail file, select Create \ View

- In the Create View dialog

1. Give the view a name, e.g. StubbedDocs

2. View type = Shared

3. Selection conditions = By Formula

4. Change the formula statement 'SELECT @All' to SELECT '@IsDocTruncated'

5. Click Ok

-The view should be created and available under views in the mail file navigator and will contain only truncated documents (truncated either by archiving criteria or, possibly if in a local replica, by replication settings)

- The view can be further customized by selecting Actions \ View Options \ Design

Regards

Paul

STHN
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks a bundle! I will go on with that and provide feedback when I have done this.