Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV FSA 10.0.4 File crawling

Jim_Hellewell
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I have goping to deploy EV 10.0.4 for file server archiving, and want to know a bit more information on how FSA actually crawls through the files on the file server.

For example, if I have a share, that I will archive that has 1,000,000  files in, and I have a  rule that archives files not Accessed for 1 year.

On the first archive run, does EV exam all 1,000,000 files to see which ones fit the rule, and then archive those files.

On the second and all subsequent runs, does it scan ALL the remaining files again, or does it somehow have some inteligence about it, so that it doesn't have to scan them all again.

If it scans the 1,000,000 files each night, it will probably take seceral days to get through each scan, depending on how long the archive window is.

thanks in advance

Jim

2 REPLIES 2

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Hi Jim

Yes, every scheduled archive will examine every file to see if it matches archive policy criteria.

In your example you should expect a percentage of those 1,000,000 files to be archived based on not accessed for 1 year. Those files would be converted to shortcuts/paceholders which obviously would not be scanned on the next archiving run therefore each subsequent archiving run should be quicker.

One way to stop the scanning of every single file would be the use of Retention Folders but I don't know if that's a path you'd want to go down.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

FSA has a checkpoint mechanism so it knows where it left off and where to pick back up when the next archiving schedule hits so it doesnt have to get through all 1 million files each night