cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV FSA migrate archive from tape to disk

Richard_Senda3
Level 4

Hello,

I have approximately 60TB of data held in EV FSA that has been migrated to tape using the EV NetBackup migrator.  The tape system used, LTO 3 is comming towards the end of its life so I need to consider its replacement.  Over the last few years, prices of disks have dropped to the point where for 60TB of data, it is much cheaper to store this on disk than it is to have it on tape.  Therefore, I would like to migrate the tape archive into a disk one.

The most obvious way to achieve this would be to duplicate the backup images in NetBackup from tape to disk, then promote the duplicated images on disk to "primary".  But I wonder if there is a better way to do this.....  

Our Vault Store Partition is held on a NTFS disk on a Windows server.  I understand that when the EV NetBackup migrator runs, EV "collects" the files in the Vault Store Parition into a Cabinet file which it then sends to NetBackup for storing on tape.

The question I therefore have is:

Can I restore the files stored in NetBackup directly to the Vault Store Partition and extract the Cabinet files?

This will be very nice if I can as that will mean I can eliminate NetBackup completely and significantly simplify my environment.

Many thanks

Richard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The short answer is that you can't just restore the CABs.  It's been a while since i went down this road, but I think that Netbackup has a tool which will pull all the CAB files back.

But I am not sure whether it corrects all the appropriate database entries in EV.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The short answer is that you can't just restore the CABs.  It's been a while since i went down this road, but I think that Netbackup has a tool which will pull all the CAB files back.

But I am not sure whether it corrects all the appropriate database entries in EV.

Working for cloudficient.com