cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV FSA sizing question

paulo7
Level 4

Dear EV experts!

Our customer want to implement EV 12 with FSA archiving.
Customer has 60Mrd (60 x 1000 Million) files on 10 file server.(2-8Mrd file on each server)
The data is approximately 20-30 Tb.

We are design and size the architecture.The initial goal to reduce the number of files on
the file server and the users doesnt suffer too much performace reductions.

Questions:
----------
- Do you suggest to implement one big EV server or multiple servers?
- Do you suggest to implement one SQL server or multiple SQL servers ?
I read that one SQL server can host multiple EV server database.(8)
Which basic architecture do you suggest?

On the EV server i plan the following disk layout:
C: os
D: EV app binaries
E: index, sql, staging area
F: vault archive data
I am thinking about E: drive which has an index: sequential read/write and sql: random read/write which
may not good to mix a different io pattern on same drive.
- What do you think about and wh at do you suggest?

BR:
Pal

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Pal,

Do NOT install EV and SQL on 1 server. That will give you problems.

I strongly advise to contact a partner, or Veritas for assistance in designing the solution. You have a lot of files, but a (relative) small amount of data. I am not an FSA expert, but my gut feeling says you need at least 2 EV servers.

If you want to go on designing yourself, try to get more information on the files themselves. What kind of files (Office files? PDF's? MP3's? txt files? Video files?). Are there many duplicates to be expected? What is expected to be archived when in a steady state daily? Average file size?

General for EV server, use mountpoint instead of driveletters. That way you can easily add disks, without running out of driveletters. (i.e. folder e:\indexes\VOL1\, where VOL1 is a mounted disk), same for data storage (f:\vaultstore\vsp01\ where vsp01 is a mounted disk)

Regards. Gertjan

Hi! 

Thanks for the quick reply! 

>Do NOT install EV and SQL on 1 server. That will give you problems.

Why? Could you write down in details?

For the backup purpose it is a good thing to make a snapshot for both component.

>If you want to go on designing yourself, try to get more information on the files themselves. What >kind of files (Office files? PDF's? MP3's? txt files? Video files?). Are there many duplicates to be >expected? What is expected to be archived when in a steady state daily? Average file size?

These are office files mainly. We test the solution now. Average file size is 50 Mb. 

>General for EV server, use mountpoint instead of driveletters. That way you can easily add disks, >without running out of driveletters. (i.e. folder e:\indexes\VOL1\, where VOL1 is a mounted disk), >same for data storage (f:\vaultstore\vsp01\ where vsp01 is a mounted disk)

Good  suggestion! We will use that one! Thanks! 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Paulo,

From installing/configuring guide:

The SQL Server that manages these databases will typically reside on a different computer from the Enterprise Vault server.

SQL best practice guide: HERE From that guide:

We recommend the Enterprise Vault SQL servers run a single SQL Server instance only, with no other applications or services running on the servers. SQL Server needs to fully utilize the server resources, and another application may introduce contention issues that results in undesirable performance.

Real life experience learns you will get issues if you run SQL and EV on 1 server. Performance, archivnig rate, retrievals etc will behave 'strange'. One of the first advises support will give you is to seperate out SQL and EV.

Regards. Gertjan