cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Index drive running low ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi People,

Can anyone pelase suggest me what should I do to reclaim disk space in the Index drive / partitions ?

at the moment it is sitting on 95% full.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

One option is to turn down your indexing level i.e., if you currently do "Full" indexing and don't need it, you can switch to "Brief", but before you switch, please make sure that the change and it's impact is understood.  A good starting on the difference is at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO57648.

Otherwise, you will need to create new indexes on a different/new drive and close the old indexes or add additional space to the existing drive.

View solution in original post

MMcCr
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Just to point out, please be aware that prior to EV10 closed indexes will still continue to grow as the volumes probably won't roll over, especially if they're user mailboxes as opposed to journal mailboxes.  The new indexes will only get populated with new volumes.

If you can't expand the current LUN then you will need to move one or some of the indexes to a new LUN.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35596

You can use tools such as Robocopy to do initial copies and then update when you're all ready to move over.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i answered in my first post to you that expiring data would have some benefit in your situation.

the EV10 indexes are actually slightly larger than previous versions so it won't save you any space.

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB

technically there's no "reclaiming" index space. the only thing that comes close is to expire data.

you really need to close off that index location and add more space... or stop archiving until you get it sorted out.

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

One option is to turn down your indexing level i.e., if you currently do "Full" indexing and don't need it, you can switch to "Brief", but before you switch, please make sure that the change and it's impact is understood.  A good starting on the difference is at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO57648.

Otherwise, you will need to create new indexes on a different/new drive and close the old indexes or add additional space to the existing drive.

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

I just want to clarify that turning down your indexing level, if that is the route you want to go, does not immediately reclaim the space -- it just ensures that the indexes are much smaller in size going forward.  To relcaim the space though, you will need to rebuild the indexes.

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks All for the suggestion, I'm using EV 9.0.4 R1 so I guess in this case I will have to add the new LUNs RAID5 into the EV server, because I heard that CIFS share is not a recommended drive solution.

AndrewB

that's correct john. we discussed that point in an earlier forum thread.

MMcCr
Level 4

Just to point out, please be aware that prior to EV10 closed indexes will still continue to grow as the volumes probably won't roll over, especially if they're user mailboxes as opposed to journal mailboxes.  The new indexes will only get populated with new volumes.

If you can't expand the current LUN then you will need to move one or some of the indexes to a new LUN.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35596

You can use tools such as Robocopy to do initial copies and then update when you're all ready to move over.

John_Santana
Level 6

MMcCr,

Yes you are right, as at the moment I got 2x 500GB Physical RDM LUN directly presented to the EV Virtual Machine, obviously I cannot grow / extend the LUN, so in this case I will need to provision and open new LUN to this EV Virtual Machine based on your suggestion.

Does consolidating into one big single LUN on RAID-5 works well for EV 9.0.4 R1 ?

I am worries that the re-indexing process would take forever to load.

John_Santana
Level 6

Does enabling the archived item expiry policy to purge the data from the EV Vault Store can shrink down the indexer disk used ?

or does upgrading to EV 10 with 64 bit indexing engine can save more disk space instead ?

AndrewB

i answered in my first post to you that expiring data would have some benefit in your situation.

the EV10 indexes are actually slightly larger than previous versions so it won't save you any space.

MMcCr
Level 4

The Size of the LUN isnt really an issue (unless it's too small) EV is happy if Windows is happy as long as its decent storage at the backend (i.e. a SAN).

An index will take a long time no matter on what size LUN it is sat on, thats why you have backups of them and a strategy to restore and rebuild if and when required.