cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Indexing Server minimum services

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hello,

I install a new Indexing server and added to the Index Server Group, moved all the indexes removed the old server.

Now, indexing tasks stay stuck in "Inactive" forever.

All items are archived and indexed, the Index location are not in backup mode nor are the store partition.

Question 1:

What are the minimum EV Services required in a indexing server?

I only install "Tasks Controller Service" and "Indexing Service", the old server had the "Shopping Service", is it required in the indexing server, I have the "Shopping Service" install on the main server (All EV service installed).

What else can I investigate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

You need at least Administration/Directory/Indexing/Taskcontroller service.

Are we talking the tasks like Verify/Sync/Rebuild, or the Index Admin task itself?

If the first, it might be the index admin task is not having a schedule. Can you right click Index Administration Task, and select Run Now. (on the indexing server). when it says 'processing', check again in the index monitor page. Verify the indexlocations are not in backup mode. If possible, clear backup mode on indexes on the site-level, even if EV shows no backup mode is set. 

Was this an existing task? Then see if you can stop it, then create a new task doing the same. If that works, there might be a reference to the 'old' indexing service somewhere. (applies to both the index admin task as to sync/verify/rebuild)

If necessary, stop Indexservice, and task controller, start dtrace on indexserver, start services. See if you spot something there.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Hello

You need at least Administration/Directory/Indexing/Taskcontroller service.

Are we talking the tasks like Verify/Sync/Rebuild, or the Index Admin task itself?

If the first, it might be the index admin task is not having a schedule. Can you right click Index Administration Task, and select Run Now. (on the indexing server). when it says 'processing', check again in the index monitor page. Verify the indexlocations are not in backup mode. If possible, clear backup mode on indexes on the site-level, even if EV shows no backup mode is set. 

Was this an existing task? Then see if you can stop it, then create a new task doing the same. If that works, there might be a reference to the 'old' indexing service somewhere. (applies to both the index admin task as to sync/verify/rebuild)

If necessary, stop Indexservice, and task controller, start dtrace on indexserver, start services. See if you spot something there.

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt

Hi GertjanA,

I only have those 4 EV services.

Yes, we are talking about tasks like Verify/Sync/Rebuild.

The EV Indexing Tasks is schedule to run all day, only stop 3 times (1h each time for backup)

Yes, EV Indexing Tasks is says 'processing' because I perform a "Run Now", is like that since 9:00 GMT.

I verified that Location have enough space, are not in backup mode nor the are closed. 

I don't know where to look for the reference for the decommissions server

I'll run a DTRACE off office hour 

Tonaco_pt

I stop Indexservice, and task controller and restart the service, didn't do the DTRACE and the tasks completed.

In the weekend I restart the servers and had no luck.

I didn't know what made it work.

Sorry for wasting your time.

António

GertjanA

Hello Antonio,

You are not wasting my time (or that of others here). Some issues are puzzling, others are resolved by a service restart, or even a reboot. (if all fails, reboot).

I am glad to see it started working after the restart of services. You might want to run a simple verify on a few archives, just to see if that now starts as expected. 

Thanks for marking as a solution, although it was not really the solution. Keep asking the questions!

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt

This happens because every time I reboot the server the DCOM Shopping Service loses permission

The vault service Account can not Local Launch permission

I'm checking why?