cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Mailbox Archive Purge

Bobc
Level 4

I've be instructed to purge all our archived email prior to a specific date. I can see in the rention policy how purge by age but I need to run a manual purge to remove everything before a date, including all shortcuts ect.. Is that possible and what would be the best way ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

there isnt a manual purge option per se but what you can do is modify the retention period in your retention category and then do a "run now" on the storage expiry (site properties, storage expiry, run now).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB

there isnt a manual purge option per se but what you can do is modify the retention period in your retention category and then do a "run now" on the storage expiry (site properties, storage expiry, run now).

Bobc
Level 4

So I would need to count the number of days from today back to my target date and expire anything older it sounds like. Now that I type it out it makes sense.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Also remember than when you calc the days and then you do the purge you need to remember that the purge will be so many days from that day and TIME you initiate the purge so if you want to expire all data from a specific date you will need to initiate the purge at midnight or just before midnight.

If you do it at 6pm then anything archived after 6PM on the day you want to purge will remain in the archive. 

Bobc
Level 4

Check my steps here and see if this looks correct:

1. Make sure the users archive is set to "delete expired items from this archive automatically".

2. Set Defaut Rentention Catagory to 2492 days (if I run it this Friday that should be around Jan 1, 2004) to expire anything older.

3.  Do a "Run Now" on storage expiry.

4. hold breath...

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I remember when Liam (Scanner) ruined my supposedly quiet christmas with this exact request, one thing he did do though which helped me a lot was he dtraced the storage expiry process, it wasn't pretty and it was 5GB in total BUT from a support perspective when we needed to check things, we had the logs available to us to figure out what was going on

and liam is dead correct
If you were to run an expiry report now at 5PM EST and then at midnight, you may see two completely different numbers due to the fact that expiry will go right to the second

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndrewB

make sure your backups have been running. the rest is like you said. as Scanner said, pay attention to the day and time you start the expiry.