cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV - Move Fingerprint database

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would like to know how you move the EV Fingerprint Database.
This technote: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64655 
Says see the Microsoft documentation, but as the database is a multi-device database, I cannot find the exact info how to move it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Never mind, found it myself.

It is just the same as a normal database. Detach it from the old exchang server, copy the files (all files, MDF, 31 NDF files and LDF files), and attach it at the new SQL server, it automatically detects it is a multi-device database and connects all files.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Maverik
Level 6

Can you clarify precisely what you mean by multi-device database?  I can find very little information about this at all. 

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The Fingerprint Database is created with multiple files.
First the MDF plus 31 NDF files. This is by default for the Fingerprint Database to add performance.

Unfortunately Symantec does not provide the exact details how to move the database.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Never mind, found it myself.

It is just the same as a normal database. Detach it from the old exchang server, copy the files (all files, MDF, 31 NDF files and LDF files), and attach it at the new SQL server, it automatically detects it is a multi-device database and connects all files.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For future reference, here is a technote:

How to move a Fingerprint Database in Enterprise Vault (EV)

Article: TECH64655           Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64655

Maverik
Level 6

I know this as Database Filegroups, glad you found the solution, would of thought that would not make much of a difference.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you can see I already linked to that article.

The article says: Refer to Microsoft documentation for procedures. Remember that the database may be configured as a multi-device database. Therefore I expected some special procedure to copy the database, but it was just like a normal database. So Symantec could have written that in the article, now it looks lik you have to do something special.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry dude, I looked right over your first post and read that last one.