cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV New DB

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I had to reinstall EV with new Databases. I still have a copy of the old one. After the install, my old shortcuts don't work and I assume because they are orhpaned; which I know I can delete. The question is, how do I restore the data so I don't lose all those emails/psts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

probably not, since Orphand Shortcut Deletion will typically just look at the archive ID of the shortcut and compare it to the users hidden message and look the ArchiveID in there, if the archive ID doesn't match then it will simply skip it.

If you want to get rid of the shortcuts, just simply use outlook to do a search for everything of MessageClass IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault* and then delete everything you get as a result

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6

When you say new DB's are you talking about everything is new? Directory, Vault stores etc?

If the directory database still exists then its possible to use EVSVR to recreate everything in the fingerprint and vault store databases. However if you have lost the directory database, there is really nothing you can do.

The Directory database keeps a list of all the users that have been provisioned and enabled, their archive ID's, policies and such, and the three most important things it has is the Archive, Root and ArchiveFolder tables.

The Archive table listing the users archive, who it belongs to , what server it belongs to and what kind of archive it is (Sharepoint, mailbox, journal, File System etc) and the ArchiveFolder table listing each folder within that archive (i.e. \Inbox, \Sent Items)

Then via the Root table it then links to the Vault store database, which has the ArchivePoint table (the users archive) and the Vault table (listing the users folders) and that ties the Saveset table together.

If you lose the Directory database, then the saveset, archivepoint and vault tables cannot link back to who owns the archive, what server looks after the archive (To find out where the savesets are stored) and what folder the item belongs in (such as \Inbox)

If you do have the Directory database, the theory goes that you can recreate the databases and have EVSVR scan all the items and based on the vaultID, archiveID etc it can reenter the items details in the vault store and finger print databases.

If you do not have backups, then the DVS* files are quite literally worthless

JesusWept3
Level 6

ok so the question is *why* was it done?
Your best bet is to simply delete all the databases you have now (or back them up and put them in a safe place) and then through SQL, restore your databases from the original BAK files, and then Enterprise Vault should be like it was *before* you deleted the databases.

Then you either need to export all the data out to PST files and then when you reconfigure EV you will need to reimport them to get the data across to the new install.

But really the question is why was the old configuration scrapped with live data still associated with it?

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I have a copy of all the DB's and EVStore. Is there any instructions on a step by step to restore the content so my shortcuts ets will work?

And yes, EVERYTHING was redone from scratch.

All i want is the DATA, not the configs restored. The old configs were incorrect which caused me to reinstall. I want the DATA from the email and PST's restored.

Also, the NEW install has a NEW site alias, how ill this affect client shortcuts? Will this also need to be fixed?

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I should have exported prioir , but forgot. Still new at this.

Do i need to restore my Exchangegroup DB, attached, there are like 2 dozen DB's associated to this.

JesusWept3
Level 6

What i would suggest is restore your EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, your vault store databases (EVVS* databases) and your Fingerprint databases. If you have other databases such as EVAudit and EnterpriseVaultMonitoring databases, don't worry about them.

Once that's done, start up your EV Services and open the vac and attempt to export some archives.
If it is possible that you *might* have to uninstall and reinstall EV and run the configuration utility to repair the install on each of your EV Servers.

I would also suggest putting the vault stores in backup mode so no one archives anything new or deletes anything etc, then either export to a PST or back to the original mailbox.

Then when you get your new config set up, zap everyones mailbox, reprovision them all and re-enable them all, and then import their PST files or archive their mailboxes etc

JesusWept3
Level 6

and that database that you screenshotted, that is the Fingerprint database and it *must* be restored, otherwise your exports will fail

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Ok, this sounds like a big deal.

Currently, I am the ONLY user so there is not much impact. I do not want to run the configs etc again. In a case of a disaster, I would need to manully do all this to get the DB backup?

Names all stayed the same besides the site alias.

Since the restore of all the DB's seems labor intensive, if I select delete orphaned shortcuts, that will delete the shortcuts, correct?

JesusWept3
Level 6

probably not, since Orphand Shortcut Deletion will typically just look at the archive ID of the shortcut and compare it to the users hidden message and look the ArchiveID in there, if the archive ID doesn't match then it will simply skip it.

If you want to get rid of the shortcuts, just simply use outlook to do a search for everything of MessageClass IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault* and then delete everything you get as a result