cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Office Mail App error

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I'm just trying to set up Office Mail App for Exchange 2016 and Outlook 2016 but am getting the following in Outlook. I've EV 12.4 using a mixed 2010 and 2016 environment as I'm migrating between the two. The EV server is a single server just doing user mailbox archiving and that all works ok.

I've added the manifast following the Veritas EV guide and this installed ok for my test user. But not sure where to go from here.

I suspect I've missed a step but as far as I know have done everything that's in the guide including adding an SSL certificate to the EV IIS server.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CadenL

We found the issue - it was associated with Group Policy. Office Mail App needs access to the Internet (which is documented in the guide) and we tested this by taking the URLs OMA needs to access and putting them into IE - this worked ok. However, we didn't realise that our GP disallowed 'Office' from accessing Internet content..... so although users could access the Internet, Outlook couldn't and therefore couldn't initialise the EV applet. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CadenL

A quick update - 

It all seems ok when I use Outlook 2013. However, I need to get it working with Outlook 2016.... so not sure if anyone can help with why it might be ok with Outlook 2013 but not 2016?

thanks

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

So it's always working fine in OWA but only working with Outlook 2013? 

The mailbox you are testing with is definitely located on a Exchange 2016 Server? Or are you performing your tests with different mailboxes? 

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

CadenL

Hi Marc

So I have a single test mailbox (EV enabled) migrated to the 2016 Exchange environment and with Outlook 2016 installed on the users desktop which works fine as a mailbox (sending and receiving email etc). With the outlook Add-in installed, the Enterprise Vault ribbon is present and I can perform all the expected EV actions on the items e.g. manual archive, search vaults, recall archived items etc.

However, when I run the 'add-app' command to install Office Mail App it all completes ok and I see the 'Enterprise Vault' banner (as per my previous attachement) as expected but when I click on this - I get the 'Add-in error' in the attachment.

I do nothing else but to uninstall Outlook 2016 from the users desktop and install Outlook 2013 in it's place and everything works as it should. The app loads ok and I can store and search mail items using OMA instead of the EV ribbon. I have not un-installed the EV outlook Add-In for either the Outlook 2016 or 2013 scenario..... do I need to do this?

many thanks

Prone2Typos

did you Try OOM?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
KVS
Enterprise Vault
Client

Type : DWORD
Name : DisplayItemsUsingOOM
Value: 1

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I believe there is no need to remove the add-in for this to work properly. Which CU for Exchange 2016 and build of Outlook 2016 are you using? 

Tbh I do only know a few customers that rely on the OMA in Outlook, most of them simple deactivate the feature in Outlook as the add-in is a way more convenient feature when compared to the OMA. They are mostly using it to access archived items in OWA. 

In OWA it is always working as expected?

I am asking this as troubleshooting issues with the office mail app is way easier when IE developer tools can be utilized. 

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

CadenL

Hi Marc

Thanks - so I've not tried using it in OWA yet. I do plan to use OWA but was thinking that if the mail app isn't even loading  then I'd get the same error for both OMA and OWA. If that's not the case then I'll try OWA and see if that then works.

thanks

CadenL

Hi

Thanks  - I've not tried OOM.... I'll give it a go.

Can I ask what it is and what it does?

thanks

CadenL

We found the issue - it was associated with Group Policy. Office Mail App needs access to the Internet (which is documented in the guide) and we tested this by taking the URLs OMA needs to access and putting them into IE - this worked ok. However, we didn't realise that our GP disallowed 'Office' from accessing Internet content..... so although users could access the Internet, Outlook couldn't and therefore couldn't initialise the EV applet. 

Thanks